TPO 12 - Question 5

Speaking topics in text

TPO 12 - Question 5

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

The woman’s problem is that she wants to attend an award ceremony but she has a philosophy exam scheduled to end right when the ceremony begins. She faces two solutions, the first is to go to the ceremony after she finishes her exam, the second solution is to reschedule her exam. I think the first solution is better. First of all, award ceremonies never begin on time, they give general speech or introduction at the beginning of the ceremony, she won’t miss anything important by being late for a little while. Second, if she reschedules her test, it’s highly possible that the professor would make her take it a few days in advance, she will lose some studying time which can have a negative impact on her grade.

1. Hey Madison!
2. What's wrong?
3. Oh!
4. I'm just struggling about what to do.
5. I won an award from the Pacific Journalism Institute for an article I submitted, and...
6. ...doesn't sound like anything's wrong.
7. Well, it's a huge honor to win and there is an award ceremony they've invited me to attend, which I'm super excited about.
8. But, and here is what's frustrating, I've got a philosophy exam that's scheduled to end right when the ceremony begins.
9. Oh...you are saying you'll just be finishing up taking the exam right when the ceremony starts?
10. Exactly.
11. But those ceremonies never start on time.
12. They give long introductions, you know, have a general speech or something before they ever get to handing out awards.
13. I'm sure they won't be ready to hand out your award right at the beginning.
14. Just go when you are done with the test.
15. You won't miss anything important.
16. Maybe, but that's a bit risky.
17. I don't want to miss being there when they announce my name.
18. Well, have you talked to your professor about this?
19. Doctor Forester?
20. No.
21. Maybe she'll let you take the exam some other time.
22. True.
23. She lets people reschedule exams sometimes.
24. But she always makes them take it a couple of days early.
25. That would mean less studying time for me, which I'm not thrilled about.
26. Less time to study… oh.
27. Like I said, I am still struggling about what to do.