TPO 16 - Question 6

Speaking topics in text

TPO 16 - Question 6

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

The professor talks about the two types of locus control in the lecture. The first type is internal locus control. For example, a woman goes to an interview thinking she’s responsible for the result. She will work hard to get prepare ahead. If she gets the job, she’ll think she gets the job because of the hard work. If she doesn’t, she’ll take responsibility and try to figure out what went wrong so she can improve the next time. On the other hand, there’s external locus control. For example, a man goes to a job interview believing the result depends on luck. He won’t work hard and might even apply for a position he’s not qualified for. If he gets the job, he’ll think it’s because the interview is having a good day. If he doesn’t, he’ll blame it on bad luck and not do anything to improve.

1. Ok.Ever thought about the things that happen to you and what's responsible for them?
2. We psychologist have a term, locus of control.
3. Locus of control refers to…um…where people think control over their lives comes from, whether it comes from themselves or from somewhere else.
4. People who think that control is in themselves are internals and people who think it comes from somewhere else are externals.
5. Let's say there are two people going or job interview.
6. One of them is an internal.
7. She has an internal locus of control.
8. Since she thinks that control comes from within herself, she will believe that her success and her preparation are really her responsibility.
9. So she is likely to really work on her interview skills ahead of time.
10. Then if she gets the job, she will believer that it's because she has worked so hard and if she doesn't get it, well, she will probably be disappointed with herself and try to figure out how she can improve for the next time.
11. Ok and another job candidate is an external.
12. He perceives other thing, say his interviewers, to have more influence.
13. After all, it's their decision.
14. It depends on what mood they are in, and you know, luck.
15. Now with his external locus of control, he is not as hard on himself.
16. So he is more likely to take risks.
17. He might interview for a job that he is not completely qualified for.
18. And if he gets it, he will think he is really lucky, and because he believes external forces are in control, he might think it's because the interviewers were having a good day.
19. And if he doesn't get it, he will probably blame the interviewers or bad luck rather than look at himself and try to figure out what he could have done better.