Growing Talent for the Future: 21 Leading Canadian CEOs Join Odgers Berndtson to Launch Second Year of CEO x 1 Day

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/01/2014 - 17:33

Canadian university students to compete for once in a lifetime opportunity: mentorship by the country's top CEOs

TORONTO , Oct. 1, 2014 /CNW/ - For the second consecutive year, leading global executive search firm Odgers Berndtson is giving third and fourth year Canadian university students the opportunity to be CEO for one day. Through a rigorous selection process, Odgers Berndtson will identify students with outstanding leadership potential and match them with a CEO from one of Canada's most prominent companies in Toronto , Montreal , Calgary and Vancouver .

Launching today, students can submit an online application at www.ceox1day.ca until November 7.

Closing the talent gap for Canadian businesses
According to a 2012 survey of Canadian senior executives conducted by Leger for Odgers Berndtson, more than 90 per cent believe they do not have the right next generation talent in place within their organization to take over at the executive level. More than half (62 per cent) of these executives also admit to having no formal plan in place to address the anticipated talent shortage.

"The looming leadership gap will pose significant challenges for Canadian organizations over the coming years," said Rob Quinn , a partner at Odgers Berndtson. "With CEO X 1 Day, we are literally investing in Canada's future leaders. The program is designed to uncover the country's most promising young talent, while gaining valuable insights into what drives them." According to Mr. Quinn, the goal is to develop this next generation of hopefuls and ensure they are on the path to success. "While CEO X 1 Day is a once in a lifetime opportunity for students to be inspired by some of Canada's seasoned business minds, the program is also a way of connecting today's top leaders with the next wave of change," added Mr. Quinn.

Participating CEOs include:

For the President and CEO of Cineplex Entertainment, Ellis Jacob , the decision to participate in CEO x 1 Day was simple.

"For students, this program is an opportunity to get a first-hand, unvarnished look at business leadership," said Mr. Jacob.  "Throughout my career, I've had mentors who helped me become a stronger leader and business manager, and who continue to be great sounding boards. That's exactly the type of experience this program aims to provide."

For students involved in the program, it gives them a unique chance to learn from, and be influenced and inspired by some of Canada's most innovative and successful business leaders.

"I am definitely going to take the learnings from the program and apply them to my career," said former York University student, Charu Jaiswal , after spending a day with Elyse Allan , President and CEO of GE Canada in 2014. Now a Studio Y Fellow at MaRS Discovery District and working on a start-up she co-founded, Ms. Jaiswal said she had the opportunity to see how a CEO can foster a culture of innovation. "The experience at GE confirmed that I want to work in an environment where I am allowed to learn, grow, and challenge the status quo."

About the Application Process for CEO x 1 Day
Third and fourth year Canadian university students are required to complete a four-step application process:

About Odgers Berndtson
Odgers Berndtson is a global leader in executive search with more than 200 partners in 30 countries, committed to providing an integrated approach to talent management. With a focus on industry and functional specialization, the firm specializes in recruiting and assessing senior executives and board members in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors across Canada, and internationally. Through executive search, interim management and leadership assessment services, Odgers Berndtson helps its clients build world-class leadership teams.

Exclusive to Odgers Berndtson. CEO x 1 Day has been running globally for eight years.

SOURCE Odgers Berndtson Canada

Article references
finance.yahoo.com