Motivation Letter

Motivation Letter

My name is Nissa Aulia Ardiani. I am a bachelor degree from Department of Architecture at Institute of Technology Bandung, Indonesia. During college, I got a lot of knowledge about architecture both in theory and practice of designing buildings depends on its function. I started to enjoy designing when I had studio task to design a mixed-use building that is located in one of the main and famous street in Bandung, Dago street. I took the theme of fashion because of the region's famous factory outlets scattered along the road, and then I applied the theme to the building envelope. After doing some studio projects, I found that I enjoy and get more excited to design the building façade system and how it influences interior, the entire building itself, and also the environment around the building.

For final project in my Bachelor’s program, I had a chance to design new local TV Station Office and Studio (Trans Jabar) in Trans Bandung District owned by CT Corporation who also owns two famous TV Station in Indonesia. Here, they already have mall, hotels, and bank. The objective of the design was to attract visitors to know more about TV station and raise image of local TV station. Because of CT Corp has many businesses besides TV stations, main design issue for this project is to show Corporate Image they have. Concept design for this building is Media Architecture, using facade as a medium for a new relationship between architecture and the digital space as well as public spaces. To make an easier building orientation and circulation, room functions were divided by activity and functional relationships inter-spaces. Five-storey main building consists of administrative and production functions, while other building has main studio with its supporting rooms and public functions. In accordance with the concept of corporate image and media facade, LED screens and the diamond-shaped glass that came from company logo were placed on the side of building that is not only widely seen by public, but also requires natural lighting. Time for the final project that weighs 8 credits was 5 months and I achieve excellent mark (A) with compliments from all examiners. For the process I was guided by three lecturers and I also discussed it with other professors who understand about TV station and building technology.

Besides doing the courseworks, I am also active in college organization, both for events related in Architecture and other extracurricular activities. One of my success events was “Rujakota”. We made giant balloon which has 5 meters in diameter and we placed it in several public spaces to attract people. At the end of this event, we placed the balloon in park near my campus where people rarely came over to, we also created some activities and public installations. After that event, so many people came and they really enjoy it. From this organization, I learned how to work together in a team and how to manage people that helps me at work and when I meet new people.

After graduation, I worked in one of the largest construction company in Indonesia, TOTAL BANGUN PERSADA for almost 2 years. I start working as a Quality Control for Architecture work at Trans and Ibis hotel project in Bandung. There I worked together in team, communicated with owner, other contractors, as well as hotel operator in order to attained their plan, expectations, targets, and standards. Once this project has completed, I was placed in the central office as an architect for design-and-build project. I learned how to coordinate with other disciplines such as Civil Engineer and Mechanical Electrical Engineer. I also had the opportunity and trust from my Department Head to attend some seminars on Green Issues organized by Green Building Council Indonesia. Since working at a large contractor, I realized that the challenge of construct building that implements sustainable design has begun to appear in one of the largest and over populated city in Indonesia, Jakarta.

Currently, sustainable high-rise buildings project which was designed by world-renowned architects, has begun to be built in Jakarta. However, there only few professionals who are experts in this field in Indonesia, even in my previous office, they still use the services of foreign consultants for façade details. Since Jakarta is now rising up and is being transformed into a city that is environmentally sustainable, I would like to participate and be involved in projects in Indonesia as a Green Building facade expert, not only design an aesthetic of building, but also ensures that the facade can function properly related in terms of comfort, safety, expected ambience, and also the sustainability of the building.

Indonesia is a developing country that is famous for its wealth of natural resources, but if this wealth is not managed wisely, then these resources will soon be depleted. In most region of Indonesia, the environmental issues are getting intense, because environmental damage started happening, coupled with soaring population growth, especially in the big cities, and the increasing need for building. But the development that has occurred, many of which are not environment friendly, percentage of building foot-print is too large, causing a drastic green area reduction and extreme weather changes. Due to this change is not getting worse, we as next generations of Indonesian people, have to learn and work harder to fight against environmental destruction in accordance with their respective scientific fields. There are several things that can be done by the Architect and Engineer; first, we should be able to apply sustainable issue in the design and construction of a building. Second, we should be able to use other alternative materials from renewable resources and green products available around the project area to reduce transportation costs of building materials. At last, we can provide a proposal to the government authorities to enforce their policy about sustainable development.

Seeing these facts and challenges that we cannot avoid, my goal is to make Façade and Green Building Consultant in Bandung or Jakarta after I completed my master study in this field and working in multinational façade consultant company, to learn more about sustainability in architecture design and works, various kind of façade systems with its material, and environment effects of building construction. I also want to allot my knowledge and make a discussion with architecture students, young architects, and member of Green Building Council Indonesia so we all can design and built sustainable building by our own.

Through TU Delft website, I am interested in Building Technology Master Program in Architecture, Urbanism and Building Sciences Department that offers specialization façade design that implements Sustainable Design which fits with my needs and desire course study. I choose Netherlands because it is a country where many professionals in Indonesia, develop their knowledge and learn in. Additionally TU Delft has a good International environment so that I can discuss with the lecturers, students from other countries, as well as professionals in the field of architecture or other disciplines, and also joining in International conferences to broaden my knowledge and perspectives on the development of architecture and technology.

If I got accepted as a Master students in TU Delft, it occurred to me that theme for my thesis project is to apply the system of media façade in tropical climate region, while still applying the issue of Sustainable Architecture to continue my anxiety about media architecture when I worked on my final project. Media façade that applied into buildings near public spaces help companies as well as government to put their advertisements, attract more people to see it instead of put them in boards along the roads which disturb road user. While media facade is a new thing and only few buildings which applied this sophisticated technology, I will explore how the system works and what are sustainable materials that can be used, so they can be applied and afforded in Indonesia as developing country. By considering the high possibilities of rain occur throughout the year in Indonesia, the system and the materials should be respond the weather and make it easier for maintenance.

Other project is I want to explore whether geothermal energy inside or near site project can be used as electrical power source for buildings in Indonesia. It is one alternative to obtain energy efficiency and sustainability in a building considering that many islands in Indonesia have volcanoes which provide geothermal. In Den Haag, they have been using it as energy source for the town. I want to explore how this energy can be transferred into buildings and useful for building system. I hope I can learn from them and I can be guided by professors who are experts in this field.

Considering that Indonesia is a developing country where number of sustainable buildings still needed for its citizens and technical experts has important roles to plan and build it, I believe that my study in this field will be reasonably important and I can apply it Jakarta and other cities in Indonesia.

I am a bachelor degree
I have a bachelor degree

During college,
During the time in college,

I got a lot of knowledge about architecture both in theory and practice of designing buildings depends on its function.
I got a lot of knowledge about architecture both in theory and practice of designing buildings depending on its function.

in order to attained their plan, expectations, targets, and standards.
in order to attain their plan, expectations, targets, and standards.

the challenge of construct building
the challenge of constructing building

which are not environment friendly
which are not environmentally friendly

instead of put them in boards along the roads which disturb road user.
instead of putting them in boards along with the roads which disturb road user.

Sentence: Other project is I want to explore whether geothermal energy inside or near site project can be used as electrical power source for buildings in Indonesia.
Description: The token is is not usually followed by a pronoun, personal, nominative, not 3rd person singular
Suggestion: Refer to is and I