Statement of Purpose

Statement of Purpose

After four years of studying in the field of Mechanical Engineering at Isfahan University of Technology (IUT), one of the Iran’s leading engineering institutes, and joining army to complete my military service, I have many options to pick in my own country such as getting an occupation or studying in a higher level. However, I intend to further my interdisciplinary adventure in the CFD field at the Mechanical Department of the Bilkent University to broaden my horizon and acquire practical experience, with the goal of preparing myself as a well-educated student for a post graduate program since I believe that Bilkent University will suit my expectations. Therfore, this parameter is highly effective in selecting Bilkent as my top-priority option. In addition, the short distance between Iran and Turkey and their culture's resemblance are other reasons for picking this option.

After passing core courses of Mechanical engineering especially on Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer and knowing about Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), I am completely obsessed by computational sciences. I voluntarily attended to a CFD group for B.S. students at Mechanical Engineering Department of IUT. Later on, I felt I should gain some practical experience working on a real industrial project. Therefore, I consulted with my supervisor and chose a real industrial CFD project as my B.S. dissertation. I soon realized that, although I enjoy applying numerical techniques in order to solve challenging engineering problems and processing the results, I am not going to be satisfied carrying out routine procedures without a deeper insight & authority. So, I found myself able to further my studies toward a graduate degree; moreover, my teachers, friends and on top of them my brother encouraged me to continue my way.

At undergraduate level, my interests became more focused. It was Fluid Mechanics and Computational Science and Engineering that really captured my interest. I was fortunate to have good educational environment and excellent professors. I found that Computational Science and Engineering was an interdisciplinary undertaking. Today we need a foundation in Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer and several languages of Computer Programming to be at the forefront in this subject. This interdisciplinary aspect of the subject suits my abilities well. I have always performed well in all science subjects and find it challenging to apply the pure knowledge to practical problems. For this reason I chose to undertake an industrial project on my final year of presence at IUT on CFD Investigation of a Vortex tube and optimizing the geometric features of this device. My supervisor was impressed with my theoretical and practical skills and looked forward to hearing from me about the final results.

Many people have asked me why I did not proceed directly to graduate studies after graduating and passing Iran’s National M.S. entrance exam, or worked for companies which like to hire me. The answer is that I wanted to make sure that I had chosen the right subject and the right place before embarking on a course of study that would involve many years of my life. The three years gap has also given me time to study about thrilling subjects and improving my English proficiency. At last, I decided to choose Turkey for my study due to having many opportunities with a great environment.

Now after noticing about Assistant Prof. Biancofiore research area (fluid mechanics problem involving phase change, complex rheology and fluid-structure interaction) and owing to an available position in his group, I am trying to achieve a funded M.S position in Bilkent University under his supervision. I am sure I can satisfy all requirement to attend this group. I trust, cooperation with Prof. Biancofiore in the Bilkent University not only is an ideal chance for me to develop my skills and practical technics, but also it is a crucial step to achieve my long term goals.

noticing about Assistant Prof. Biancofiore research area
noticing about Assistant Prof. Biancofiore's research area

cooperation with Prof. Biancofiore in the Bilkent University not only is an ideal chance for me to develop my skills and practical technics, but also it is a crucial step
cooperation with Prof. Biancofiore in the Bilkent University not only is an ideal chance for me to develop my skills and practical technics, but also is a crucial step

Need to give more credits to the school and the professor like this user:

...A good research career can only be built above the firm foundation of a good education. Therefore, I aspire to apply for graduate study towards the Master of Urban and Regional Planning Program at University of Illinois at Urbana since I feel strongly that my educational background and work experience makes me a strong candidate for admission to your program. As a student in your Urban Planning Program, I will bring conviction and enthusiasm to my studies. My experience of working with the public and private sectors of urban planning, has provided me with a unique perspective in planning which will be a great asset to become an efficient Urban Planner. It would be a great pleasure and honor for me if given a chance to ensue my graduate studies at your highly esteemed university and if given an opportunity to teach or do research work would not fall short of your expectations. I hope that you will find in me a deserving and creditable student for your renowned University.

from this SOP:
http://www.testbig.com/university-applications-essays/statement-purpose

---------------------