Another Bulldozer Rampage in Jerusalem Injures 16

22 July 2008

A Palestinian resident of Jerusalem rammed a bulldozer into dozens ofvehicles on Tuesday, injuring 16 people before being shot dead bypolice. VOA's Jim Teeple reports.

For the second time thismonth a Palestinian resident of East Jerusalem has gone on a bulldozerrampage in Jerusalem, attacking cars and buses before being shot andkilled.

The incident took place less than a kilometer awayfrom the residence of Israel's President Shimon Peres who was holdingtalks with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas at the time. Mr. Peressays Israel needs a reliable Palestinian partner to fight such attacks.

"Needless to say the two of us condemn any sort of terror," hesaid. "We cannot accept it as part of our life. I think the Israeliforces will do whatever they can to prevent it in the future and getthe help of partners, if there are partners to do it."

Tuesday'sincident closely mirrors a bulldozer rampage on July 2 in which aPalestinian killed three Israelis in the commercial heart of the city.

Theattack also took place less than 200 meters from the King David Hotelwhere President Bush stayed during his two visits to Israel this yearand where the presumptive Democratic U.S. Presidential nominee BarackObama is staying during his visit to Israel which begins on Tuesday. At a news conference in Amman, Jordan shortly before he arrived inIsrael Obama condemned the attack.  

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas also spoke out strongly against the attack following his meeting with Shimon Peres.

Mr. Abbas says any kind of attack on civilians of any kind should always be condemned.  

Mr.Abbas's meeting with Mr. Peres was the first ever between a Palestinianpresident and Israeli head of state. The two men said their discussionsfocused on reviving stalled peace talks between the two sides.