Devon Allman Releases Debut Solo Album, 'Turquoise'

May 08,2013

Devon Allman, son of blues-rock veteran Gregg Allman is one of today’s busiest musicians. Devon recently released his debu t solo album, "Turquoise."

Devon Allman blazed his own musical trail, without the guidance of his father Gregg. That’s because Gregg Allman, co-founder and leader of the world-famous Allman Brothers Band, divorced his mother when he was just an infant and lost contact with Devon for years afterward.

Devon says there were no hard feelings when he finally met his father for the first time.

“I ended up meeting him at 16 and we got along great," he said. "We share a great relationship nowadays and it allowed me to grow up normal - not like a typical rock star’s kid - and really find my own path to music.”

Devon grew up far from the spotlight, moving with his mother from Texas to Tennessee, and St. Louis, Missouri where he now resides. He remembers following his father’s career and being a fan of the Allman Brothers during one of his many musical phases.

“I knew who he was and I liked the music but I was into other things," he said. "I was really into Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, and [Jimi] Hendrix and the Doors. I went through the metal phase and I went through an alternative phase. I’ve always listened to everything and I think that that’s important for a musician.”

Devon spent years crafting his blues-rock sound on vocals and guitar, sometimes performing more than 300 shows a year. Among the songs on his new solo album is “Homesick,” which touches upon the wear and tear of traveling.

“It’s a great life," Devon said. "I love to travel and I love to play music, but you do hit a wall every once in a while a few times a year where you’re just like, ‘Oh geez, I just want to be in my own bed and I miss my son and I miss cooking my own food, just that home base.’”

The lone instrumental on “Turquoise” is “Yadira’s Lullaby,” performed on a three-string cigar box guitar.

“Over the years the blues and blues-based music has really expanded across the globe," Devon said. "There are now festivals in Singapore and Dubai, and I really want to play everywhere that I can.”

Devon divides his time between solo work and the all-star blues band Royal Southern Brotherhood. In addition, he performs an occasional stint with his father Gregg and the Allman Brothers Band.