Extremist Violence in Northwestern Pakistan Leaves 22 Dead

25 June 2008

Pro-Taliban extremists in northwestern Pakistan have killed 22 membersof a pro-government tribe. The remote violence-plagued area bordersthe volatile tribal region of South Waziristan on the Afghan border,which is believed to be a safe haven for al-Qaida and Talibanfugitives. From Islamabad, Ayaz Gul reports.

Residents andlocal officials say that those murdered were among at least 27 membersof the pro-government Bhittani tribe kidnapped by Taliban militantsduring a raid on the town of Jandola earlier this week.

DistrictCoordination Officer Barkatullah Marwat told VOA by telephone thatTaliban militants killed most of their captives and dumped their bodiesjust outside the town.  

"We received about 22 dead bodies sentby Taliban and they have been handed over to their respective tribesfor burial purposes," he said.

Marwat says the government hasstepped up security in and around Jandola and denied earlier reportsthat the strategic town had fallen to Taliban militants.

"Theseare just rumors," he said. "They have not acquired Jandolah, but theirinfluence over Jandolah has increased. There is no doubt in it."

ThePakistani town where the incident took place is located on the mainroad used for sending supplies to government forces stationed in theSouth Waziristan tribal region, which is a stronghold of PakistaniTaliban commander Baitullah Mehsud.

The Waziristan region isalso believed to be used by Taliban militants for cross-border attackson local and foreign forces in Afghanistan.

Taliban militantshave carried out regular attacks on Pakistani security forces and theirlocal supporters in the tribal areas. But in recent months, theseextremists have extended their subversive activities to some of theurban centers of the North-West Frontier Province.

Incidentslike kidnapping of government officials, blowing up of female educationcenters and banning music on some areas have become routine in recentweeks.

The rise in the extremist activities is occurring despitePakistani government attempts to engage militants in talks to end theviolence.  

But the policy is under fire from Afghan andNATO-led forces as well as U.S officials. They say that peace talksand peace deals with militants can help them regroup to launch morecross-border attacks.

U.S military commanders stationed ineastern Afghanistan say insurgent attacks launched from the militanthideouts on the Pakistani side of the border have increased thisyear.