Gates Says Iran's Missile Test Does Not Make War More Likely

09 July 2008

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says Wednesday's Iranian missiletests provide further evidence of the need for a European missiledefense system, but he says the tests do not make militaryconfrontation with Iran any more likely. VOA's Al Pessin reports fromthe Pentagon.

Secretary Gates indicated that the Iranian testdemonstrated enhanced capability for the country's Shahab Threemissile, but he said he could not provide details. Previous versionsof the missile are believed to have a range of about 2,000 kilometers,enough to reach from western Iran to the western shore of the Black Sea.

SecretaryGates says the test provides evidence to support the U.S. view thatEurope needs a system to defend against Iranian missiles.

"Thiscertainly addresses the doubts raised by the Russians that the Iranianswon't have a longer range ballistic missile for 10 to 20 years," saidRobert Gates. "The fact is they just tested a missile that has a prettyextended range. So, my view, in the first instance, is we've beensaying, as we've talked about missile defense in Europe, that there isa real threat. And it seems to me that the test this morningunderscores that."

On Tuesday, Secretary of State CondoleezzaRice and her Czech counterpart signed an agreement to place ananti-missile radar installation in the Czech Republic. Talks withPoland for an anti-missile launch site appear to have hit a new snag,but a Pentagon official says "rather intense discussions" arecontinuing and "good progress" is being made.

Iran's missiletests were accompanied by sharp rhetoric. The chief of Iran'sRevolutionary Guards said the country's missile arsenal is ready to befired at "any time, quickly and with accuracy," and that "enemy targetsare under surveillance. On Tuesday, another Iranian official saidIsrael and U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf would be targeted if Iranis attacked.

Asked whether those statements and Wednesday'smissile tests make a military confrontation with Iran more likely,Secretary Gates said he does not think so.

"There is a lot ofsignaling going on," he said. "But I think everybody recognizes whatthe consequences of any kind of a conflict would be. And I will tellyou that this government is working hard to make sure that thediplomatic and economic approach to dealing with Iran, and trying toget the Iranian government to change its policies is the strategy andis the approach that continues to dominate."

The concern aboutIran's missiles is intensified by its effort to develop nuclearweapons, an effort the United Nations Security Council members andGermany are trying to convince Iranian leaders to abandon.