Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump Look to Super Tuesday

28 February, 2016

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump are expected to win almost all of the primary elections and caucuses set for Tuesday.

If they do, Clinton and Trump will greatly increase their lead of delegates and likely become their parties' nominees.

Saturday, Clinton received about 75 percent of the votes in the South Carolina primary election. She received strong support from African-American voters in South Carolina. This could help her on Tuesday, when voters in the states of Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia decide who they will support. These states have large numbers of African-Americans.

Public opinion studies show Trump has more support than other candidates in many of the so-called "Super Tuesday" states. This week, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie began campaigning for Trump. Until recently, Christie was a presidential candidate.

Super Tuesday is the most important day of the presidential campaign. The person who wins the most elections on that day almost always becomes the nominee of their political party.

I'm Jonathan Evans.

VOA National Correspondent Jim Malone reported this story from Washington. Christopher Jones-Cruise adapted it into VOA Learning English. Hai Do was the editor.

We want to hear from you. Write to us in the Comments Section, or visit testbig.com.

_____________________________________________________________

delegate – n. a person who is chosen or elected to vote or act for others

primary – n. an election in which members of the same political party run against each other for the chance to be in a larger and more important election