Instagram Launches New 'Stories' Feature

02 August, 2016

This is What's Trending Today...

The photo-sharing application Instagram is urging users to post more photos and videos, more often. Users will soon be able to create Instagram Stories. The new feature will let users share content that will disappear after 24 hours.

Instagram made the announcement Tuesday. The company said that users "don't have to worry about overposting. Instead, you can share as much as you want throughout the day -- with as much creativity as you want."

The new feature is very similar to Live Stories on Snapchat. Snapchat launched Live Stories in 2014.

Instagram users will be able to view a person's "story" by clicking on their profile photo. Unlike normal Instagram posts, there are no likes or comments.

Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom told the Wall Street Journal that the new feature is designed to create "a place where you feel free to post whatever you want without the nagging fear of, did someone like that or not?"

On social media, people have had mixed reactions to Instagram Stories. Many commented about its similarity to Snapchat Live Stories. One Twitter user wrote, "Although I'll probably get addicted to Instagram Stories, I do dislike when different platforms copy each other! #InstagramOrSnapchat ?

Another tweeted, "Instagram stories is the update we never wanted or asked for."

Instagram has more than 500 million users worldwide. Facebook bought the company in 2012.

And that's What's Trending Today.

What do you think about Instagram's new video feature? Let us know in the comments section.

_______________________________________________________________

nagging –adj. annoying or bothered by repeated worries

addicted –adj. unable to stop doing something (often harmful)

platforms –n. computer software that enables one or more functions