MH17 Search Finds Possible Pieces of Russian Missile

11 August, 2015

Investigators have found parts of what might be a Russian missile in the area where a Malaysian Airlines plane crashed last year. Flight MH17 went down in eastern Ukraine.

Dutch government lawyers said Tuesday that the investigators from Belgium, Australia, Ukraine, Malaysia and the Netherlands are examining the pieces of what might be a Russian surface-to-air missile.

The prosecutors said the parts are of special interest to the criminal investigation. They said the parts might provide more information about who was involved in the downing of MH17.

Turkey airstrikes target Kurdish militants

Turkey's military said Tuesday that warplanes had carried out airstrikes against 17 Kurdish rebel targets in southeastern Turkey.

The military said strikes targeted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) positions in Hakkari province. The area borders Iraq and Iran.

The PKK was blamed for deadly attacks in Turkey Monday. Nine people died in Sirnak province and in Istanbul.

Officials: Greece, Creditors Reach New Agreement

Greek officials said Tuesday the government reached an agreement with international creditors on new loan terms.

A European Commission spokeswoman confirmed the progress made on the deal. She said negotiators have agreed "in principle" to broad terms.

Greece's parliament is expected to vote on the measure by Thursday. Eurozone finance ministers could give their support on the agreement by Friday.

Zimbabwe lifts some hunting restrictions

Zimbabwe has partly ended restrictions on big game hunting around Hwange National Park. The restrictions began earlier this month after the killing of the protected and much loved wild lion known as Cecil. A U.S. dentist is accused of killing Cecil.

The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Authority said the ban remains in place for two private game parks and rural communities near the park.

The agency said people caught hunting illegally will be "banned from hunting for life."

_______________________________________________________

Words in the News

prosecutor n. a lawyer who represents the side in a court case that accuses a person of a crime and who tries to prove that the person is guilty

principle n. a basic truth or theory: an idea that forms the basis of something

game n. animals that are hunted