Motown 'Fanthology' CD Pays Homage to Fan Favorites

16 December 2009

Motown anthologies have been a trademark of the label ever since its launch by Detroit, Michigan songwriter Berry Gordy, who started the company with an $800 loan in 1969.  But, never in its 50-year history has Motown let its fans decide which songs to include on a compilation album. 

That is, until this year, when fans were allowed to vote for their five favorite songs from a list of 100 titles.  The final results produced the 45-track Fanthology, arranged in order of most votes received. 

The Temptations earned five spots on the Fanthology, including the Number 10 song, "Papa Was A Rolling Stone."

At Number 9 is the Jackson 5 with "ABC."      

"ABC" is one of three Jackson 5 songs included on Fanthology.  Fans also voted the group their favorite Motown artist.

Singer Marvin Gaye has more songs than any other Motown artist on the collection, four of them in the Top 10 alone.  His duet with Tammi Terrell "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," landed at Number 8, while "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" claimed the Number 7 position.

Stevie Wonder was only 11 when he joined Motown in 1961.  His hit song "Superstition" came in at Number 6.

Stevie Wonder garnered three songs on Motown's Fanthology, tied with Smokey Robinson and The Miracles who took Number 5 with "The Tracks Of My Tears."

The Temptations return at Number 4 with "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)," and Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" and "What's Going On" ranked Numbers 3 and 2 respectively.  "My Girl" by The Temptations was voted the top Motown song of all time.

Fans submitted their votes on a special website this past June and July.  For a complete list of the results, go to classic.motown.com.