Obama Visits Iraq to Discuss Challenges, Successes

21 July 2008
Presumptive U.S. Democratic Party presidential nominee Barack Obama isin Baghdad, his first visit to Iraq since 2006. The visit isconsidered part of Senator Obama's attempts to boost his foreign policycredentials before the presidential election in November. VOA'sSuzanne Presto reports from the northern city of Irbil.

SenatorBarack Obama's visit to Iraq gives the Illinois senator a chance to seefirst-hand the security conditions in the country. It also gives himan opportunity to assess possibilities for the U.S. role in Iraq beyond2008 - a central campaign issue in the U.S. presidential election.  

Obama held separate meetings with Iraq's President Jalal Talabani and Prime Minister Nouri al-Malaki.

Noneof the men made public comments after the talks. Iraqi media reportssay the discussions focused on security and economic developments,including challenges and successes.  

Earlier in the day, Obama visited the southern city of Basra where he met with troops and military officials.

Speakingin Washington, U.S. Department of Defense spokesman Bryan Whitman saidhe believed officials would give Obama what they have given otherofficial visitors: a first-hand view of developments in the country.

"WhatI would expect that he would hear would be the same things that othershave heard, " Whitman said, "and that is a perspective from thecommanders on the ground with respect to what they are seeing, thechallenges that they are facing, the successes that they are having andthe areas that still need more work."

Obama opposes the war in Iraq. He has repeatedly vowed to end the war if he is elected president.  

Earlierthis month, Obama said if he is elected, he would like to withdraw U.S.troops at a pace of one-to-two brigades per month, meaning combattroops would be out in 16 months.

The German weekly Der Speigelreported Iraq's prime minister endorsed that plan, but after thosecomments ignited a firestorm of controversy Iraqi spokesman Alial-Dabbagh said the prime minister's comments were mistranslated andmisconstrued. But after Mr. Maliki and Obama met, Dabbagh said hehopes U.S. combat forces could be out of Iraq by 2010.  

Republicanpresidential candidate John McCain says troop draw-downs must bedetermined by the military and political situation. McCain says U.S.troops could be in Iraq in some capacity for many years to come.

Obamais traveling with two other U.S. senators. They spent the first twodays of this overseas tour in Afghanistan, followed by a stop inKuwait.  

Obama is also expected to visit Israel, Jordan and Europe this week.