State Department Acknowledges Presidential Candidates' Passport Files Breached

21 March 2008

The U.S. State Department said Friday that the passport files of all three remaining presidential candidates had been improperly breached by contract workers.  The revelation prompted an apology from Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and the promise of a full investigation by the State Department.  VOA National correspondent Jim Malone, in Washington, has more on this latest turn in the U.S. presidential race.

The State Department first announced that the passport file of Senator Barack Obama had been breached three times since January this year.  The department says two contract workers were dismissed in connection with those incidents and a third was reprimanded.

A department spokesman later acknowledged that Senator Hillary Clinton's passport file had also been breached last year.

Campaigning in Oregon, Obama told reporters he expects a full and thorough congressional investigation.

"One of the things that the American people count on in their interactions with any level of government is that if they have to disclose personal information, then it is going to stay personal and stay private," he said.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack also said that one of the contract workers who had accessed Senator Obama's file had also improperly breached the file of the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, Senator John McCain.

McCain was traveling in France and said the breach incidents require an apology and a full investigation.

"The United States of America values everyone's privacy and corrective action should be taken," he said.

Spokesman McCormack said the State Department's office of inspector general is already investigating the incidents and whether they were politically motivated.

"And I have to tell you that we take very seriously the trust that is put in us in safeguarding American citizens personal data," he said.

"This comes at a pivotal time because Barack Obama has been suffering from some negative publicity, and for a governor to step up and endorse him gives confidence to the other party leaders that they are moving in the right direction," he explained.

The Clinton campaign hopes to stem the flow of super delegates to Obama with a strong showing in the Pennsylvania presidential primary on April 22 where recent polls give her a sizeable lead.

Obama continues to lead the delegate count, but neither contender will be able to secure the party nomination before the August convention without considerable support from uncommitted super delegates.