Taiwanese Ruling Party Chairman Makes Second Official Visit to Beijing

25 May 2009

Wu Poh-hsiung, chairman of Taiwan's ruling Kuomintang, or KMT, Party, arrived in Beijing Monday to plan out further economic cooperation with China. The eight-day visit will be highlighted by a visit with Chinese President Hu Jintao on Tuesday. 

It is Wu Poh-hsiung's second official visit since China-friendly Taiwanese president Ma Ying-jeou took office last May.

Wu met with Wang Yi, China's Taiwan Affairs Office Director, shortly after his arrival in Beijing Monday.

"People feel a confidence and enthusiasm for the development of the relationship between the two straits," Wu told reporters.  "And they hope that the co-operation will develop steadily for a mutually beneficial relationship between mainland China and Taiwan," Wu said.

During his eight-day stay, KMT and Communist Party negotiators are expected to finalize the date and location of a fifth cross-strait forum, anticipated sometime in July.  Wu's visit will be highlighted by a meeting with Chinese President Hu Jintao Tuesday.

Wu's last official visit to China, a year ago, was the first ever between a leader of Taiwan's ruling party and a sitting director of the Taiwan affairs office.  Since that time, China and Taiwan have signed historic deals establishing direct air, shipping and postal links as well as opening Taiwan to Chinese tourists.

At their next forum this summer, the KMT and the Communist party are expected to discuss relaxed regulations on Chinese investment in Taiwan as well as cooperation on cross-strait crime fighting.