Top 5 Songs for Week Ending May 2

April 29,2015

We’re counting down the five most popular songs in the Billboard Hot 100 Pop Singles Chart, for the week ending May 2, 2015.

Top 5 Songs for Week Ending May 2

1. "See You Again" Wiz Khalifa Featuring Charlie Puth
2. "Uptown Funk!" Mark Ronson Featuring Bruno Mars
3. "Earned It (Fifty Shades Of Grey)" The Weeknd
4. "Sugar" Maroon 5
5. "Trap Queen" Fetty Wap

After a week of chart fireworks, the Top Five quiets down, with one song making a return trip.

Let’s open in fifth place, where Fetty Wap drops a slot with “Trap Queen.” The New Jersey rapper has only one eye…the result, he says, of a childhood bout of glaucoma. Fetty says he contracted it in both eyes. The doctor was able to save only one, but he says today he doesn’t even think about it unless someone points it out.

Down a slot to fourth place goes Maroon 5 with “Sugar.” Adam Levine and his band just got a recording invitation from another big star… Last week, Sia mentioned on Australian radio that she’s written a new song, “Step By Step.” She says that she’s pitching it to Bruno Mars…and Maroon 5. Sia also says her next album, This Is Acting, is ready to go.

The Weeknd is our prodigal son this week, rebounding three slots to third place with “Earned It.” What does this young Canadian have in common with Britney Spears, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and Elton John? They’ve all had…or will have…performing residencies in Las Vegas. The Weeknd will be appearing at the Cromwell Hotel on May 23, June 13, and July 3… with more dates to come.

Up at number two, Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars remain within striking distance of the title with “Uptown Funk.” Mark had some unflattering things to say about the launch of the Tidal streaming service. Speaking with Southern California Public Radio about streaming services, Mark says he thought Tidal seriously miss-handled its launch last month. He saw it as less about musical change…and more as a group of millionaires adding to their wealth.

Up at number one, it’s Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth for a second week with “See You Again.” It’s a soundtrack single from Furious 7…which is now a hit of historic proportions. It’s only the third film to gross more than $1 billion internationally, following Avatar and Titanic.

We're out of hits for now, but let’s do it all over again next week!