Union Member to Head Guinea's New Transitional Council

09 February 2010

Over a decree on state radio late Monday, Interim President Sekouba Konate said Rabiatou Serah Diallo would be president of the Transitional Council, which will manage the country's move to civilian rule.

A spokesman for Guinea's interim president announced a new ordinance.  He said a Council of Transition would be formed in the West African country.

The director for the President's Press Office, Mandjou Dioubate, announced the president of the council was to be Rabiatou Sera Diallo, who is the secretary-general for the National Confederation of Guinean Workers.

Serving as dual vice presidents, Dioubate named two national religious figures: the president of Guinea's Christian Council Monsignor Albert Gomez, and El-Hadj Mamadou Salou Sylla, the ex-secretary of the National Islamic League.

Dioubate added he would soon announce more details about the council, which will be comprised of 101-members.  The council will be responsible for the country's transition from military to civilian rule.

Guinea fell under military rule in December 2008, when Captain Moussa Dadis Camara lead a bloodless coup hours after the death of longtime president Lansana Conte.

Last December Captain Camara was shot by the chief of the presidential guard and is now convalescing in neighboring Burkina Faso.  In his absence, General Sekouba Konate was named interim president, and opposition leader Jean-Marie Dore is the prime minister of the transitional government.

Since the 2008 coup, Guinea has been in a state of political turmoil, which was punctuated by a massacre on September 28, 2009, when members of Guinea's military killed more than 150 protesters in the capital Conakry.  The United Nations has said Captain Camara should be held responsible for the massacre.