CET4 sample essay - CET4 exam essay writing on Jan 1997 : Practice Makes Perfect

Directions: For this part, you are allowed thirty minutes to write a composition on the topic Practice Makes Perfect. You should write at least 100 words and you should base your composition on the outline (given in Chinese) below:

1. How to understand Practice Makes Perfect
2. For example in English learning...
3. Another example ...

Practice Makes Perfect

Sample essay:

The famous saying “Practice makes perfect” is widely accepted today. It means if we practice unfamiliar things again and again, we’ll be able to perform it perfectly.

The practice of learning English is a good example. We are not living in an English speaking country. So, in order to learn it well, we need extra practice, such as reading English books, going to English corners, or communicating with foreigners. Only sitting at the desk cannot lead to the mastery of English.

As another example, if we want to be skilled in using the computer, we also need to practice using it. Some children become little experts in computer, just because they play with it everyday. On the contrary, if we just stick to books, we will still feel confused when using computers. Judging from the evidence offered, we might safely draw the conclusion that practice makes perfect.