Essay writing:How to write the body of the essay

The main purpose of the body of your essay is to give support to your thesis (usually the last sentence of your introduction). To give sufficient support, you need to provide a minimum of two or three paragraphs in your body for an essay examination. However, a take-home essay generally has several body paragraphs.

All body paragraphs begin with a topic sentence. The topic sentence states the main idea of the body paragraph, a main sub-point of your thesis. For this reason, it may be said that after your thesis, topic sentences are the most important part of your essay.

Immediately following the topic sentence, you should provide clear, specific details to lend credence to the argument of your paper; specifically, to the topic sentence of that paragraph. To accomplish this, you should use specific dates, people, places, and/or events. You will most likely need more than one sentence to provide sufficient details for each point. Use transitions to introduce your examples.

Generally speaking, the body paragraphs are longer than the introduction and conclusion. However, be sure that each body paragraph contains only one main sub-point. All the ideas included in each paragraph must fall under the broader topic sentence. That is, every new idea requires a new paragraph. Think of each sentence after the topic sentence (“the set”) as a sub-set of it.

While you will want to use transitions within your body paragraphs, you also need to use them to connect one body paragraph to another. This is necessary to make your paper smooth and coherent. For example, if you are writing a compare/contrast essay, you may want to begin your second body paragraph with a transition phrase such as on the other hand or in contrast. Study the list of transition terms at the end of this chapter to determine which one(s) would be appropriate for the type of essay you are writing.

Practice One

Read the following sample essay body divisions, and think of possible topics for these divisions.
1.
I. Introduction
II. Body
a) Past
b) Present
c) Future
III. Conclusion

2.
I. Introduction
II. Body
a) Infant
b) Quid
c) Adult
d) Old Age
III. Conclusion

3.
I. Introduction
II. Body
a) Emotional
b) Mental
c) Physical
III. Conclusion

4.
I. Introduction
II. Body
a) Urban
b) Small Town
c) Countryside
III. Conclusion

5.
I. Introduction
II. Body
a) Home
b) Work
c) School
III. Conclusion

Practice Two

In the exercises below, take the topic provided and, working with a partner, create your own subtopics.

EXAMPLE: Topic: Best uses of home computers

11. Body

B. Entertainment C. Pay bills

1. Topic: The most practical college majors

II. Body A. B. C.

2. Topic: Advantages to living in a foreign country

11. Body

B. C.

3. Topic: What a person must do to have a successful life

Il. Body A. B. C.

Practice Three

Choose one of the topics above, and write a 3-paragraph essay body on it. You have 20 minutes ‘in which to write the body. You may choose either two or three sub-points (body paragraphs). Be sure that you begin with a topic sentence, and that all of the following sentences in that paragraph remain within the framework of your topic sentence. A new topic introduces a new paragraph.