Lesson to Live

Lesson to Live

Tuesdays with Morrie
by Mitch Albom
Doubleday, 1997, 192pp, US$19.95/$27.95CAN
ISBN 0-385-48451-8
Reviewed by WANG Hong-zhi

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher,or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place.

To Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, Mitch’s college professor from nearly two years ago. Morrie was dying, and Mitch flied to him every Tuesday after years of track-losing, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final “class” : lesson in how to live. Every visit goes with a theme, such as “the world”(first week), “feeling sorry for yourself”(second), and forgiveness (twenth).It’s chronicle.

Tuesddays with Morrie is a gift of love and insight with its detailed record of Morrie’s last time and nurishing words by Morrie which are arranged in original structure for the living, Morrie and Mitch, and me.

In the opening chapter “The Classroom” ,the author writes “He could not press down hard with a knige. His fingers shook…” to tell us how amyotrophic lateral sclerosis has ruined his mentor’s life. The old man who once had been fond of dancing was fixed to his bed. Pity grows in our heart. While thousands of millons of people who are as kind as and as smart as Morrie die, without drawing anyone’s attention. Finally, Morrie is immortal with the book and in our affection.

It’s genius to concern all the ultimate themes of life in the form of Tuesday talk with in total 14 parts, such as “world” “death” and “family”. What’s more, we seem to live the life together with Morrie, listening to the smart man’s smoothing words and totally into a idyllic mood by watching his attitude and reaction to the horrible disease.

The fourth Tuesday is about death. Only one key sentence: “Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live ”.In his words of the ideal last day, a set of routine pictures are given. He has learnt how to die, and he then knew how to die. Many don’t bother to think about their deaths, maybe because it is not encouraged. When they die, maybe at the age of 80, they have only lived 292000(80*365)the same days instead of 80 years. It’s significant for both who are in desperate disease and who are healthy as most of us. One who learn how to die, will be able to live.

The book has led the world to live and guided us to see everything from a more insightful and warmer way. The encyclopedia says that the book has been translated into 31 languages, stayed as best-seller for some four years, and becomes a miracle in publication industry. After readed it, I figured out why.

Readers are merry to see what this book has brought to Morrie and Mitch. Debts of ALS was paid by the royalty. A sentence goes “If you want to move others by your work, get it move yourself first ”. Tuesdays must have roused Mitch, and thanks for his excellent wrting then helped we mass see the world from a clearer eye.

The book has changed my opinion towards raising children. As the youngest and only girl in my family, I grow up the way many youngest children grow up, pampered, adored, and inwardly tortured. Rarely have I have the idea to take much pains to take care of another. But in the words “knowing that your family will be there watching out for you” , I should have a second thought. I wonder if were in hs shoes, about to die, and I had no family, no children, would the emptiness be unbearable. What’s more, it’s the only book that has abosobed me totally in for very long time, even the introducton book of philosophy Sophie’s World. Just as most Chinese nowadays I have been pressed the fast forward button on, and rushing for nothing. Morrie guides us to check the criteria which was and is theory. We all need teachers in our life. If you are lucky enough to find your way to such teachers, you will always find your way back. After all, directon goes further than speed, my one told me.
I’d like to conclued my review with Morre’s words “Love is the only rational act.”,and thanksfor sharing this part about love...