Arctic deer live on islands in Canada's arctic regions. They search for food by moving over ice from island to island during the course of the year. Their habitat is limited to areas warm enough to sustain the plants on which they feed and cold enough, at

Arctic deer live on islands in Canada's arctic regions. They search for food by moving over ice from island to island during the course of the year. Their habitat is limited to areas warm enough to sustain the plants on which they feed and cold enough, at least some of the year, for the ice to cover the sea separating the islands, allowing the deer to travel over it. Unfortunately, according to reports from local hunters, the deer populations are declining. Since these reports coincide with recent global warming trends that have caused the sea ice to melt, we can conclude that the purported decline in deer populations is the result of the deer's being unable to follow their age-old migration patterns across the frozen sea.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

One evidence needed to evaluate the author’s argument is the evidence of population decline. The author asserts that according to some reports from hunters, the deer population is declining. This is not sufficient enough to declare that the population is declining. In order to evaluate the author’s argument, the author should provide us with facts and figures about the population of deer at some time past and also the current population of deer. If the author could provide us with these figures, then we stand a better chance assessing the changes in the population of deer. Basing on the hunters observation is not enough. There are several reason for why the hunters observations may be flawed. There is a possibility that the deer have changed their pattern of migration and for this reason, the hunters did not see them this year. If this is so, then the author’s argument would be in doubt.

Another evidence needed in order to evaluate the author’s argument is the evidence of ice melt in the Canada’s artic region. According to the author, the deer travel over the ice to other islands. There could be that this year the Canadian artic did not have much ice and for this reason few deer were able to cross to other islands. If this is so, then this might account for the reason why the hunters are predicting that the deer population is declining. Therefore it would be imperative if the author could provide information about whether the Canadian artic had enough ice for the deer to travel to other islands or not. If it turns out that the artic did not have enough ice this year, then it is not necessarily true that the deer population is declining.

Lastly, another evidence needed to evaluate the argument is the evidence of changes in the pattern of the deer migration. The author asserts that the deer travel from one island to other. There is a possibility that this year the deer changed their pattern of traveling and as a results the hunters did not sight them. This might be the reason why the hunters are predicting that there is a decline in the deer population. Here, in order to evaluate the argument, the author should provide us with the evidence that there has not been changes in the flow of the deer. If for instance the deer change their pattern, then the author’s argument, that there is a decline in the population may not be necessarily true. However if there is no change in the pattern, then this will strengthen the author’s argument.

In conclusion, the author should provide us with above mentioned evidence in order to give us a platform to assess whether the argument is logically tenable.

Sentence: Another evidence needed in order to evaluate the author's argument is the evidence of ice melt in the Canada's artic region.
Error: artic Suggestion: No alternate word

Sentence: There could be that this year the Canadian artic did not have much ice and for this reason few deer were able to cross to other islands.

Sentence: Therefore it would be imperative if the author could provide information about whether the Canadian artic had enough ice for the deer to travel to other islands or not.

Sentence: If it turns out that the artic did not have enough ice this year, then it is not necessarily true that the deer population is declining.

argument 1 -- not OK. //we have to accept the deer population is declining. but maybe other reasons caused the decline, not the global warming.

argument 2 -- not OK. //what is the relation between the decline to global warming?

argument 3 -- not OK. //suppose the global warming is the reason, but not serious enough and deer can still follow the old pattern.
--------------------

Need an introduction paragraph.