The president of Grove College has recommended that the college abandon its century-old tradition of all-female education and begin admitting men. Pointing to other all-female colleges that experienced an increase in applications after adopting coeducatio

The president of Grove College has recommended that the college abandon its century-old tradition of all-female education and begin admitting men. Pointing to other all-female colleges that experienced an increase in applications after adopting coeducation, the president argues that coeducation would lead to a significant increase in applications and enrollment. However, the director of the alumnae association opposes the plan. Arguing that all-female education is essential to the very identity of the college, the director cites annual surveys of incoming students in which these students say that the school's all-female status was the primary reason they selected Grove. The director also points to a survey of Grove alumnae in which a majority of respondents strongly favored keeping the college all female.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendationtion

The president of Grove College(GC) suggests changing College's tradition of all-female education. The president asserts that admitting man will surely increase the number of applications in the college. This conclusion is supported by some evidences which should be closely scrutinized in order to estimate the soundness of the argument.

First of all, the recommendation asserts that adopting coeducation in other all-female colleges caused dramatic enhancement of in applications and enrollment. The author assumes that only the change of policy is the reason of other colleges' success; however, the high probability exists that they altered their educational program or/and staff as well. We have no data which allows us avers that coeducation is the reason of the improvement. The president of Grove College could have buttressed his statement if more information about the colleges were given, for instance, how long these colleges were all-female, where these educational institutions are located and how long the surge of applications lasted. Without this information, the comparison of these colleges with GC is unwarranted, for instance, these institutions may be notoriously famous for their all-female education in this case, the alteration will solve their problem. Moreover, the colleges may be relatively young and have no prominent history, in this case, the change does not hurt their image and reputation. In other words, to accept director's supportive evidences we need to be sure that all these colleges are similar or equal to each other otherwise the comparison is not reasonable and superficial.

Additionally to it, the director of the alumnae association maintains that local survey have demonstrated that students who enroll in GC based their decision of its well-known all-female education. Despite this fact, perhaps, the implementation of the new policy will attract more students of both genders. In other words, we do not know how many of female students avoided giving application in GC because of its obsolete traditions. The director could have bolstered the statement in case, he or she give us data of survey which was carried out outside the walls of GC with the population of the country. What per cent of the nation wants to study at this college owing to its century-old tradition.

In conclusion, the given recommendation does not supported properly and therefore, fulfillment it may or may not have expected results due to the fact that both the opponent of the new policy and supporter of it did not manage to create a solid and convincing argument.

argument 1 -- not OK

argument 2 -- not OK
--------------------
It is off the topic.
--------------------
Let's analyze the structure of the statement:

condition 1:
all-female education is essential to the very identity of the college,

condition 2:
the director cites annual surveys of incoming students in which these students say that the school's all-female status was the primary reason they selected Grove.

condition 3:
The director also points to a survey of Grove alumnae in which a majority of respondents strongly favored keeping the college all female.
-----------------------