Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little impact on our customers. In fact, only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicat

Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little impact on our customers. In fact, only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicating that an average of 98 people out of 100 are happy with the change. Furthermore, many servers have reported that a number of customers who ask for butter do not complain when they are given margarine instead. Clearly, either these customers do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine."

Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.

The author has presented the results of the change that recently appeared in the Happy Pancake House restaurants. He indicates that change has been received positively either because many customers do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine. However, such reasons do not support the argument fully. There can be many assertions to counter this opinion.

Firstly,the awareness of the people regarding health and fitness. It is a known fact that margarine tops the health chart if compared to butter because it is made from vegetable oils and animal fats. Hence, if used as a substitute to butter can prove to be more nutritious in the long run. Hence assuming that the customers do not differentiate between the two would be erroneous on the author’s part. It is in fact the extreme fitness conscience of such customers that forbids them from complaining.

Secondly, it is clearly stated that the change has been a recent one, and therefore ,before this people had no other option apart from consuming butter in their daily diet. It must have become more of a habit to use the term “butter” to refer to either of the two. Thus making the author think that the people do not know the difference between the two of them.

Thirdly, as statistics show that ninety eight people out of hundred are happy with the change and are not complaining implies that the change has given satisfactory results to such fitness conscious people. Probably such customers did not ask for margarine prior to the change because they were sure of it’s non-availability in the restaurants. And the recent availability has made them satisfied in terms of health ,consequently, they do not complain.

Hence the assumptions made by the author do not suffice to estimate that people are not aware of the differences .

The essay is out of topic. This is an argument essay, not an issue one.

Go this link to know how to argue:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-argument-task-essays/following-memorandu…