2 To understand the most important characteristics of a society one must study its major cities Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take In deve

2. To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The characteristics of a society can be reflected in various forms in a society: music, literature, people, fashion, building, and so on. Studying its major cities could be one way to understand the culture of a country, but it does not mean the most important or perfect way. I believe studying major cities in a country would be a good start point and frame work to learn characteristics of its society, but at the same time it should study less major cities also to fully understand the culture of a society.

In Russia, people say that Moscow is the politic and economy city, and St. Petersburg is the cultural city. Since 2000, Moscow has been changed in many different ways and the center of change in Russia. If somebody is interested in change of Russian politics and trends, they should go to Moscow be. Since the city has a unique atmosphere and known well for the purpose, it would be good to start the research by choosing the city.

Furthermore, studying small cities are very important as much as doing major cities. “Small” does not mean less significant than “major” or “big” cities in a society. It also bears unique culture in it. For example, Siberia in Russia was almost barren, but it is very important area not only because of abundant natural resources, but also harsh environment that was the source of literature among Russian authors. Therefore, when major cities are explored, researchers make sure small cities not drop-out or less weighed during the research of a society.

As it mentioned earlier, scope into major cities in a society would not be the only way to study a culture. There are so many available resources other than cities such as literature, history, music, and so on. Whenever research conducted, researchers have to make the research range simpler. For instance, if one studies the building that had been built, it has to narrow down the scope of the research by purpose of building, style, architecture, or region such as Russian Orthodox Church in Moscow.

In conclusion, it is important that people should be able to start from studying cities whether major or not. I agree that studying major cities are very useful and easy approach to understand a society, although it could be perfunctory if someone only looks around the cities without any focus in the subject.