College students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to

Essay topics: College students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Chukky's picture

I disagree with the statement that college students should base their choice of field of study on the availability of jobs in that field. I believe college students should rather, study things that they are interested or passionate about. Such students are more likely to work hard and excel in such fields of study, than they would have if they had to do something they had no interest in. Their excellence could lead to remarkable achievments which can become sources of income and profit for such individuals.

I believe college students should study fields which they are interested or passionate about. Such students are bound to be dilligent in their academic endeavors, bringing about excellence in such fields. The student would enjoy his academic pursuit. However, this would contrast the case of a student who is forced to study something he/she does not like for fear of being unemployed after graduation. This student would find college a painful boring experience. He/she may not be dedicated to their study as they have no interest in it and are only studying in order to get a job. Such students may not even be able to graduate.

Another set back for these students, who are studying to get a job, is that their creativity is under-utilized. Since these students may not be as passionate or interested in their course of study, they would be unable to produce innovative works in these fields. However, students who study our of passion or interest are more likely to make discoveries, or invent new ideas and things. Such creativity is fostered by their passion for these fields.

It is such innovations and ideas that make remarkable impacts in our societies. New arts, inventions, companies and industries are established by such creative minds. If this is the case, such students would no longer be bothered about getting employed because they would become employers, industrialists, and trail blazers. Those on the other hand who only studied to gain a job, would end up struggling to even get employed and working hard to keep their job. Perhaps these students had ideas that could have been of great utility to mankind and could have been of great profit to themselves. However, they lose the chance of discovering their potentials by studying something they have no interest in.

Nevertheless, not every passionate student is going to make a discovery or invent something new, or develop an industry. Moreover, if there are low job opportunities in their field of study, they risk the chance of being unemployed. However, I believe that students who studied out of passion, are more likely to come up with ideas or ways to solve their unemployment problems. They may be able to set up a means of living to sustain themselves without having to bother about unemployment.