Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim In developing and suppor

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

The author’s claim here is not very substantiated. For any decision making regarding student’s career choices its necessary to make a complete assessment of the students. Reaching out to thousands of students individually in a college is not an easy task. The student himself is the best guide for him in making these choices. Although he may take help of his institute’s faculty members in this regard but the end decision should be made by him only.

It’s neither very easy nor very effective task to analyze the interest and orientation of each and every student of the college. Unless until you assess each student individually, you cannot conclude in which subject will he succeed most? The decision to choose a field of study should be solely decided by student himself. E.g consider a student who has scored excellent marks in mathematics in high school and based on that the institute has recommended him to choose maths as his major field of study but what if student has interest in archaeology. If he has now chosen maths as his major field of study but later on finds out that he is much more interested in archaeology then there are chances that he might not do well in his elected field.

The institutes may provide assistance in decision making to those students who are really seeking for it. If a student is confused about his major field then he can go to institute’s faculties and consult with them. Institute may offer a separate department for helping those students who are seeking guidance in choosing their career.

What is most important for the institute is to provide a good education to its students. If a student is not doing well in his major field then it is not necessary that the concerned area is not suitable to his interest. It is likely that student is not developing interest in the subject because the way he is being taught is not very stimulating or may be the faculties and libraries are not good. Thus institute should look on these issues rather than assessing its student’s psychology.

The institute if really wants to assist its students in making right choices in their field of study then it may offer a separate department for their assessment. It may carry out a general career assessment test and based on the results it can give advice to its students in choosing suitable field of study for them.