The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books."We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because i

The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books.

"We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the café would attract more customers. Space could be made for the café by discontinuing the children's book section, which will probably become less popular given that the most recent national census indicated a significant decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. Opening a café will allow Monarch to attract more customers and better compete with Regal Books, which recently opened its own café."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

This argument is well presented yet far-fetched. It lays a claim that Monarch Books should open a cafe in its store in order to attract more customers. Nevertheless, the argument is in effect definitely unreasonable due to several flaws after a close scrutiny, though it may appear plausible at the first glance.

To begin with, replacing the children's book section with a cafe on the basis of the national census showing that the number of children is decreasing relies on a poor assumption about the effects of attracting more customers. The mere fact that the national census does not suffice to prove that the number of children in this area declines as the national census shows. Perhaps the number of children in this area is the top of the nation. Hence, without accounting for and ruling out other likely scenarios, by no means could the author suggest that replace the children's book section with a cafe.

The recommendation further assumes that the well-accepted cafe in the Regal Books would induce the same results in the Monarch Books. Yet the key difference between two bookstores might undermine this analogy. For example, the Regal Books' major customers are those who addict to coffee, while the major customers of Monarch Books tend to enjoy the pure tranquil among various books. To corroborate his point, the author should pay a close heed to cope with the possibility mentioned above.

Finally, the recommendation assumes that the major customers of Monarch Books are not aware of the feeling of their children. For instance, if a customer goes to Monarch Books with child and find that there is no appropriate place for accommodating his or her child, the customer might be upset and leave. Pursuing this line of reasoning, it proves to be the author's responsibility to mull over his assumption and then furnish it with cogent evidence so as to pave the way for a more tenable argument.

In retrospect, it seems precipitous for the author to jump to the conclusion based on a series of problematic premises. To bolster it the author must provide clear evidence that the success of building a new cafe in Regal Books will lead to the same result when Monarch Books build a new cafe in the store. After all, feckless attempts with a fallible method could be nothing but a fool's errand. Thus, only by grasping the key point of this argument could the director draw a convincible conclusion.

Sentence: Thus, only by grasping the key point of this argument could the director draw a convincible conclusion.
Error: convincible Suggestion: No alternate word