Essay topics: The following is a recommendation from the personnel director to the president of Acme Publishing Company.
"Many other companies have recently stated that having their employees take the Easy Read Speed-Reading Course has greatly improved productivity. One graduate of the course was able to read a five-hundred-page report in only two hours; another graduate rose from an assistant manager to vice president of the company in under a year. Obviously, the faster you can read, the more information you can absorb in a single workday. Moreover, Easy Read costs only $500 per employee — a small price to pay when you consider the benefits to Acme. Included in this fee is a three-week seminar in Spruce City and a lifelong subscription to the Easy Read newsletter. Clearly, Acme would benefit greatly by requiring all of our employees to take the Easy Read course."
The author claims that the Acme Publishing Company should oblige its employees to take the Read Speed-Reading Course owing to the fact that other companies could enhance their productivity based on this issue. Moreover, he/she explains some reasons like the ability of swift reading and rising one employee from assistant manager to vice president as proving for this claim. In addition, he/she beleives that taking this course will have a little cost for the company. According to the author’s claim and the reasons, it can be inferred that the reasons are too weak or they need to be explained more.
First of all, the author states that fast reading will increase productivity of the company; hence, one person could read five hundred pages only in two hours. Here, a question will came into mind. What is the relation between quick reading and improving productivity? Is it adequet that we say the example of merely one person who could read 500 pages in two hours? In this case, the connection between these two items is vague and it is needed to be expanded more by the author which state the sufficient reasons and details.
Secondly, the author remarks the example of one employee who has promoted from an assistant manager to a vice president position. The author offers this promotion has occured because of taking Speed-Reading Course by the person; however, he/she never consider other factors that may lead to this improvement; the great ability of managment, having good talent and ideas for being vice president, having more experience than other persons and etc are all such factors of why this employee promoted to vice president. Therefore, it is not strong enough that present the ability of speed-reading as the only reason.
Finally, he/she highlights that the cost for this project is low; just 500$ for one person. The author never discuss about the number of Acme employees. It maybe an enermous cost if the number of applicants for the course is high. Moreover, he/she never speak about the Acme budget which is alotted to this project. In addition, he/she must discuss about the costs for the three-week conferience in details which it might need overally a huge investigation.
As a summary, this claims that taking speed-reading course can improve productivity of employees is not expanded and explained well by the author. There are many asumptions and questions that must be taken into account. Totally, this statement is supposed as a week claim.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|4 months 5 days ago||ejlim94||83||Read full essay|
|4 months 1 week ago||ejlim94||66||Read full essay|
|4 months 1 week ago||jakir_50||30||Read full essay|
|6 months 2 hours ago||Fatema Humayara||30||Read full essay|
|7 months 3 weeks ago||yyusong||61||Read full essay|
|8 months 2 days ago||greawyky||34||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 months ago||chinu1996||32||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 months ago||ncheels||34||Read full essay|
|1 year 4 months ago||mskrdy||38||Read full essay|
|1 year 4 months ago||majduleen||66||Read full essay|
- The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaint (70)
- Claim: The best way to understand the character of a society is to examine the character of the men and women that the society chooses as its heroes or its role models.Reason: Heroes and role models reveal a society's highest ideals.Write a response in wh (58.3333)
- In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement (71.4286)
- "Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future."Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain (48)
- The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books."We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because i (62.5)
- The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevent people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning f (70)
- "Governments should place few, if any, restrictions on scientific research and development."Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In de (76.6667)
- Claim: It is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero.Reason: The reputation of anyone who is subjected to media scrutiny will eventually be diminished.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree (57.1429)
- "The best way to teach—whether as an educator, employer, or parent—is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones."Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree withthe claim. In developing and supporting your pos (58.1818)
- "Too much emphasis has been placed on the need for students to challenge the assertions of others. In fact, the ability to compromise and work with others—that is, the ability to achieve social harmony—should be a major goal in every school." (70)