A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of f

A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of families in Bay City are two-income families, and a nationwide study has shown that such families eat significantly fewer home-cooked meals than they did a decade ago but at the same time express more concern about healthful eating. Therefore, the new Captain Seafood restaurant that specializes in seafood should be quite popular and profitable.
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be addressed in order to decide whether the conclusion and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to the questions would help to evaluate the conclusion.

In the preceding statement, the author claims that establishing a new seafood restaurant should be quite popular and profitable in Bay City. Though his claim may well have merit, the author presents a poorly reasoned argument, based on several questionable premises and assumptions, and based solely on the evidence the author offers; we cannot accept his argument as valid.

The primary issue with the author’s reasoning lies in his unsubstantiated premises. He assumes that the recently sales study shows the increasing in consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants. Even though, there is no specific indicators that tell us more details about each year’s rates of those five years. There is a possibility that the increase happened in the first three years then it decreased at the end. Furthermore, the author depended on nationwide study which has shown that the two-income families , the majority of families in Bay City ,are eating significantly fewer home-cooked meals than they did a decade ago but at the same time express more concern about healthful eating. Healthy food can be different. There are other healthy foods other than seafood. Some people believe that vegetation or sometimes Chinese food is healthier than others. The author’s premise , the basis for his argument, lack any legitimate evidentiary support and render his conclusion unacceptable.

In addition, the author makes several assumptions that remain unproven. He assumes that the seafood restaurant should be popular and profitable in Bay City. Even if Bay City families liked the new seafood restaurant, the restaurant may not be popular and profitable. In one thing, Captain Seafood restaurant is rather unfamiliar for the citizens, and as a new brand it may need a long time for people to accept it. Another thing is, profit is a factor relating to revenue and cost. For example, obtaining high quality, healthy seafood will cost a lot and could affect the profit.

While the author has several key issues in his argument’s premise and assumptions that is not to say that the entire argument is without the base. The author could provide a recent survey about the Bay City families and their concerns about attending the new seafood restaurant by asking them about their expectations. This will help the restaurant’s administration to achieve the consumers’ satisfaction. This is will be more effective than depending on nationwide study that could not reflect the city’s citizen’s opinion.

In sum, the author’s illogical argument is based on unsupported premises and in substantiated assumptions that render his conclusion invalid. It is not guaranteed that the new seafood restaurant will be popular and profitable, unless the author provides recently study and survey to support his claim. If the author truly hopes to change his reader’s minds on the issue, he would have to largely restructure his argument, fix his flaws in his logic, and provide evidentiary support. Without these things, his poorly reasoned argument will likely convince few people.