Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP's recent s

Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP's recent success with call-in advice programming, and citing a nationwide survey indicating that many radio listeners are quite interested in such programs, the station manager of KICK in Medway recommends that KICK include more call-in advice programs in an attempt to gain a larger audience share in its listening area.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The argument of station manager of KICK in Medway seems to be reasonable that the more number of call-in advice programs are increased, the more audience are attracted. But it is still rife with holes that not strong enough to ensure 100 % in success of the proposal.

At first, according to the WCQP’s success, the manager reckons that the audience share of radio station WCQP has risen up remarkably due to the number of call-in advice programs, but he/she does not prove that the directly factor making the increase is such programs. It can be influenced by other concurrently programs such as sports, music, agenda… Radio station WCQP can raise simultaneously both call-in programs and other programs whose quality is probably the main role in appealing to audience. Even though no other programs has been raised in quality, the audience may be attracted by the new programs’ contents rather than call-in style. For instance, They are possibly interested in topics that were rarely broadcasted before such as homosexual, bisexual, clone, generic engineering…Also, some old topics can bring new inspiration and draw audience’s attention by representing fashionably or adding more enthrallingly stories and witticism. Otherwise, a speaker who has mellifluous and emotive voice may be the key role in effectiveness of a broadcast. Therefore, whether or not the increase of audience share depend on the call-ins, we cannot determine concretely.

Furthermore, to assess the achievement of radio station WCQP the manager does not consider objective elements that probably affects such as economical and social conditions. Under the influences of economical crisis, many people losing their job may stay at home and listen to radio to kill time instead of working at office. Or some try to catch any recruitment news and a pocket radio is definitely is their worthwhile choice for them to do it everywhere. The increase audience share of station WCQP may be simultaneous with above social phenomena. That coincidence probably led the manager to evaluating wrongly the effectiveness of call-in advice programs. However, we does not have any survey or report about the impact of social conditions on radio audience share, the manager’s argument can be acceptable.

Citing a nationwide survey less validity and reliability. Firstly, the author does not say where the survey was made. Is it made in US or UK? As we know, both of these countries have their own specific and particular culture as well as residents. The manager cannot apply a survey made in US to a proposal in Medway, UK and vice versa. It is completely unreasonable. Secondly, even the survey is made in UK, it is not enough accurately. Because people in every area, countryside and city, rich zone and poor zone, may have different behaviors, characteristics and interests. That wide – ranging survey just can reflect the average of nation without specific features of Medway. In reality, the percent of radio audience interested in call-in programs in London can be 90% but that in Medway can be just 20%. Thus, relying on that survey is not able to surefire for success of the proposal. Finally, the survey is not fully representative. It could have not asked residents exactly if they like call-in program or if they prefer to listen more call-ins. The question might ask them to choose the best kind of programs among such boring kinds and they just chose call-in. In case they was really interested in call-ins but some of them would be fed with its expansion. Since we do not know accurately the survey's information, it cannot support the manager's argument effectively.

Base on the real achievement of WCQP and a nationwide survey, rising the quantity of call-ins can gain the larger radio audience share in KICK’s listening area and it can be a important step to promote their fame and success that KICK should implement. However, the manager’s argument need to added more information to be stronger and more persuasive.

Sentence: Therefore, whether or not the increase of audience share depend on the call-ins, we cannot determine concretely.
Description: The fragment share depend on is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace depend with verb, past participle

Sentence: Or some try to catch any recruitment news and a pocket radio is definitely is their worthwhile choice for them to do it everywhere.
Description: The fragment is definitely is is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace definitely with adjective

Sentence: It could have not asked residents exactly if they like call-in program or if they prefer to listen more call-ins.
Description: The fragment not asked residents is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace asked with verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive

Sentence: However, the manager's argument need to added more information to be stronger and more persuasive.
Description: The token to is not usually followed by a verb, past participle
Suggestion: Refer to to and added

No. of Words: 656 350 (write the essay in half an hour)