108 110 Critical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field

108/110. Critical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field

In the given passage, the author claims that important judgment of any field can be effectively made by experts rather than laymen. This suggestion is controversial because on one hand, sometimes outsider’s opinion shed a light on unrecognized point which was ignored by the professionals. On the other hand, experts’ ideas are generally more reliable and well-organized to be referred. Taken as a whole, one should consider reliability when it comes to making a crucial judgment.

Experts’ opinions are imperatively necessary for important decisions. Can a television reality show appoint a computer expert as the judge for appreciating dance or song competition? The answer is obvious: anyone who is lack of the expertise of the relevant field would not be allowed to participate to the program because they can marginalize the credibility of the judgment. The computer expert simply cannot tell the difference of delicate nuances in the songs and performances of the competitors on the show unless he is highly trained as an artist. On the contrary, when someone should purchase a new set of work station, the computer expert can provide a valuable and well-tailored advice. Considering a limited budget and the specific purpose of using the computer the computer expert can recommend the most appropriate option which we can improbably acquire from acquaintance. In modern days, people spend hours in front of computers almost every day. However, most of them are not able to confidently recommend the best selection of computers to friends. If we have to make decisions which are insulated from a daily life and more professional expertise are involved, the dependency on experts will be even more increased.

Amateur’s ideas are easily accessible, but does not hold valid. If we browse internet to find reviews of newly released movie, just couple of clicking of a mouse will render us exposed to uncountable amount of amateur reviews. Although they are seemingly interesting and ingenious at some points, it is hard to claim their credibility and influence are sustainable. Movie lovers bother to search professional reviews of the movie because they want know the film in depth and more broad. Also, sometimes professional reviews have influence on the readers to change the attitude about the film by providing the subtle shade of meanings which is easily ignored by amateurs.

Thus, the assertion that experts’ opinions are more valuable than outsiders’ is agreeable. Although laity sometimes engenders interesting opinions, it is not a desirable factor in making critical judgment in any field because of its deficiency of reliability and holistic perspective.