2. Claim: Major policy decisions should always be left to politicians and other government experts.Reason: Politicians and other government experts are more informed and thus have better judgment and perspective than do members of the general public.Write

2. Claim: Major policy decisions should always be left to politicians and other government
experts.
Reason: Politicians and other government experts are more informed and thus have better judgment and perspective than do members of the general public.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

People’s ideas are so diverse and making consensus between all people of a society is not possible for every decision. This is where governments take shape. A minority of people take both power and responsibility in the form of a government. This minority emerges to decide and administer decisions among same people they have come from. Policy choices must take into account the interests of the whole society. Every member of a society concerns about his/her own interests. Therefore, an overarching decision needs to be taken by those who are cognizant and possess enough information about the interests of the whole society. After all, to keep people completely away from taking policy decisions, as the statement above claims and reasons tacitly, is not legitimate merely because politicians possess more information.

To begin with, every political determination has its own pros and cons that should be considered comprehensively before taking it. Consider the entrance of Chinese merchandise into a country. The total price of a Chinese product is low and people of other countries can meet their needs by buying Chinese stuff as they are economic. At the same time, national production in other countries will suffer mainly because of Chinese imports, to the point of bankruptcy. Many of people will become unemployed and the wheel of production in nations will stop working. It is due to correct verdict to both provide cheaper imported products for people and save the national productions. Those who decide on such a verdict needs to consider the interests of the whole society, which requires expertise.

However, people should not be kept away from the policy-making process integrally. The aristocratic form of any government, as the history firmly attests, will lead to corruption. In aristocracy, those who are titled as “elites” take decisions for the whole society. With the time goes by, as power concentrates on few people _few “elites”_ it inevitably causes corruption. This is why democratic systems are farther from corruption as power is dispersed among the whole people of a society. Hence, people should be allowed to direct the policy-making of a country. Consider the movement of Mahatma Gandhi. He and the accompanying people directed the major policy-making of their nation toward the independence of India while the political system was corrupt. Hence we should not always cede the decisions to politicians entirely. People should have their right to protest or use voting systems to direct the national decisions before politicians get mired in corruption.

In short, the government experts with the information they have, own an advantage to take major policy decisions than the public. However, having more information does not legitimate politicians to totally put away the people. Governments can be corrupt while people as a whole cannot be corrupt. Therefore it is needed to integrate people’s idea into the decision making process of a country via protestations or voting systems.