The more one gets committed to an idea or a policy the more he will know about its flipsides if any. So the recommendation that people who are the most deeply committed to an idea are the most critical of it, is true but not in all scenarios. I would like to elaborate on this more with the help of few examples.
In the field of medicine, many drugs have their own advantages and disadvantages. A doctor who is dedicated to his profession possesses the knowledge of both the benefits and side effects. Hence when a patient comes with an ailment, he prescribes the drugs for a specific amount of time. If there is any side effect he also mentions the same to the patient and suggest to unfollow the prescription once the desired state is attained.
Second example: nuclear energy is seemed as one of the most powerful sources of energy. It has both positive as well as negative impacts. Scientists who are aware of both of these, monitor the functioning of the nuclear plants for energy generation. They also keep a check at the nuclear waste generated in these plans which can be hazardous if gets accessible to the masses. Hence they take care of their disposal safely.
Although it is true that a dedicated person will also be critical but this notion applies to fields which has both benefits and disadvantages. The fields like humanitarian work and social services, which are only beneficial for the public do not seek critical thinking. Examples are Mother Teresa and Mahatma Gandhi. Both of them were considered epitome in their own fields. While Mother dedicated her life completely for the service of destitute people, Gandhi devoted his life to nonviolence. Both of them did not have any critical thinking in their domain.
Clubbing up all the points I can conclude that it is true that deeply committed people can also be critical but this notion applies only to the fields which have both positive as well as negatives.
- Government officials should rely on their own judgment rather than unquestioningly carry out the will of the people they serve. 50
- A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the advertising 38
- Leaders are created by the demands that are placed on them. 60
- The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition. 80
- As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate 55
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 3.5 out of 6
Category: Satisfactory Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 19 15
No. of Words: 337 350
No. of Characters: 1565 1500
No. of Different Words: 172 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.285 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.644 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.536 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 108 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 75 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 56 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 31 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 17.737 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 7.232 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.579 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.287 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.527 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.088 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5