Essay topics: Politicians should pursue common ground and reasonable consensus rather than elusive
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the
recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and
supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the
recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape
The speaker asserts that politicians should pursue common ground and reasonable consensus rather than elusive ideals. From my perspective, the statement raises valid points in some aspects, but it is too extreme. It overlooks the circumstance under which some elusive ideals should also be pursued.
For starters, the leaders of nations should devote themselves to seek for common ground and reasonable consensus. As for the living issues, such as medical care and education, politicians should acquire consensus with the citizens. For example, if there is a widespread starvation or plague in the whole country, it is improper for the leaders to insist on pursuing unrealistic ideals without caring about people’s thoughts. By contrast, they should follow the citizens’ ideas to tackle these exigent issues which are tightly related with the well-being of people. Otherwise, it may lead to the turmoil. In addition, politicians should also seek for the consensus on the issue regarding law enactment. If the law which the government want to implement is largely opposed by the majority of residents, the politicians should take the suggestions into consideration. Otherwise, the law may be rejected eventually, and even cause turbulence. Therefore, politicians should pursue common ground and reasonable consensus with the citizens in some circumstance.
However, it does not mean that they should not seek for some ideals which seem unrealistic but actually acceptable. Under certain scenarios, pursuing these ideals may save the whole country and race. For example, Nelson Mandela, an outstanding leader of Africa, spent fifty years fighting against the regime of South Africa. Finally, he successfully eradicate segregation and oppression and achieve the equality for the black. His ideal seemed unrealistic initially, but he insisted on it and eventually accomplished it. The same can also hold for Mahatma Gandhi, he employed nonviolent civil disobedience against British rule, which seemed elusive as well, to achieve Indian independence. Certainly, he is a hero of saving the whole country in the heart of Indian people. Both of them demonstrates that politicians should pursue some elusive ideals as long as the ideals are acceptable.
Nevertheless, we should avoid taking he statement to the extreme. Sometimes if the ideals are elusive and cannot be acceptable, the politicians should relinquish to pursue them in most cases. For instance, the Utopia, which first emerged in sir Thomas More’s work, then became the project of creating an ideal society apart from the demoralizing city. These Utopian projects were especially popular in Britain and France, but the leaders found it unlikely to accomplish in the end. This kind of ideals should not be pursued by the politicians.
Overall, the statement is valid in some aspects, but as for the elusive ideals, they should be discussed case by cased rather than totally rejected.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||dvtien95||58||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||michox||75||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||PURANNGU||54||Read full essay|
|4 months 3 weeks ago||Pavan kumar 08||66||Read full essay|
|1 year 4 months ago||quantumdweller||62||Read full essay|
|1 year 4 months ago||majduleen||50||Read full essay|
|2 years 5 months ago||urvangP||Read full essay|
|2 years 9 months ago||Cho0304||50||Read full essay|
|3 years 6 months ago||yinglovecherry||57.5||Read full essay|
|3 years 6 months ago||ing54007||60||Read full essay|
- Do you agree or disagree: The way people dresses is a good indication of his or her personality or character. (73)
- Some companies in the United States have developed "wellness" programs that give rewards or incentives to employees for achieving certain health-related goals, such as stopping smoking or losing weight. The rewards and incentives include cash pr (90)
- Some companies in the United States have developed "wellness" programs that give rewards or incentives to employees for achieving certain health-related goals, such as stopping smoking or losing weight. The rewards and incentives include cash pr (76)
- Your school wants to improve the quality of students’ life in the dormitory. Which one of the following do you think the school should build in dorms? 1. a quiet study area; 2. an exercise room for students to keep physical well-being; 3. a room for ent (73)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? One can learn a lot about another person from the books and the movies that the person likes. (73)
- What is the most useful action for people to help environment in their local communities? 1. plant trees and create parks; 2. persuade local shops to stop providing plastic bags for consumers; 3. increase access to public transportation (such as buses and (73)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important to read or watch the news presented by people who have similar views than the news presented by those who have different views from you. (70)
- Taking a lot of time to make an important decision is often considered as a bad quality for a person, while some people think that it is a good quality for a person. Which do you prefer? (73)
- Some college teachers prefer to ask students to watch or listen to a recorded lecture before class. In class, they will ask students to do more practices about what they have learned from the lecture. Do you think this is an effective way and why? (73)
- Do you agree or disagree with the statement? The universities should spend more money in improving facilities (libraries, computer labs) than hiring famous teachers. (85)