Enhance your communication skills

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 06/29/2014 - 13:01

Communication skills are insisted upon by employers time and again. While technical know-how is important, lack of interpersonal skills and an inability to converse effectively in English could throw a dampener on an individuals prospects for employment.

This is where Kings Learning, Bangalore, step in, and offer custom-made solutions to such problems. Arshan Vakil and Tahem Veer Verma have co-founded the company.

“Despite having technical skills, not all graduates employed. We realised that this could be attributed to students’ poor communication skills and lack of fluency in English. Keeping these factors in mind, we decided to foray into this particular area,” Mr. Verma says.

“Often, engineering graduates pursue MBA. While MBA guarantees jobs, the focus is more on management and less on soft skills. Most colleges provide only book-based soft skills. Practical application is required in order to gain mastery,” says Mr. Vakil.

They have the Kick-start programme that focuses on workplace and interview skills. “We help students overcome their fear of public speaking by conducting group discussions and role plays,” says Mr. Vakil. “In the workplace, constructive criticism is involved, and we want to ensure that students are not discouraged by such circumstances. We train them to be confident.”

Apart from the Kick-start programme, the centre offers a General IELTS training programme for those who wish to go abroad, and a General English programme for those who evince interest in learning and speaking English. Kings Learning was launched in Chennai recently. The company partners with U.K.-based King’s College for their training programmes.