ISIS reveals job advert for nurses which states they must be able to speak English... a rule even the NHS hasn't brought in

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 04/07/2015 - 19:34

John Hall for MailOnline

Militants fighting for the Islamic State terror group in Syria have announced that all nurses working in areas under their control must speak English - something the NHS still hasn't introduced.

Revealing plans to open a school of nursing in ISIS' de facto capital Raqqa, the extremists also disclosed the tough entry requirements for prospective medical workers.

Among them are rules that applicants are no more than 25 years of age, must be willing to work anywhere inside the territory controlled by the extremists, and must speak fluent English.

The latter rule is something that even the NHS has yet fully put in place, with nurses who trained in European countries still able to treat patients without any formal language checks thanks to bureaucratic rules barring the Nursing and Midwifery Council testing EU candidates.

Details of the first nursing school to be opened in ISIS-held territory were revealed by on Twitter by Raqqa Is Being Slaughtered Silently - an activist group based in the Syrian city that uses a network of brave informers to document the daily atrocities carried out by the Islamic extremists.

RIBSS shared a photograph of a laminated document written in Arabic giving details of the new medical school and listing the entry requirements for would-be nurses.

It states that all candidates be aged between 18 and 25, pass an entry exam, impress during an interview, graduated from secondary school with science qualifications, be willing to travel to any ISIS-held area, and willing work for ISIS institutions for at least two years after graduating. 

The document also states the importance of English - saying candidates will not be accepted without knowing how to speak and understand the language. 

This is in stark contrast with Britain where English language checks for all nurses are still not being enforced, despite legislation being passed last month making them a legal requirement. 

Although the law has changed, the Nursing and Midwifery Council must engage in a lengthy consultation process, draft new legislation and seek council approval before it can test the English language skills of nurses who trained within the EU.

Students graduating from ISIS' nursing school will be required to spend a full two years working for institutions run by the terrorist organisation after graduating.

However the announcement in Raqqa promised that graduate nurses who achieved top grades and showed the most promise at the school will be considered for places as ISIS' medical school, where they can train for better paid jobs such as doctors and surgeons.

ISIS' English language rules have been put in place long before the NHS has been able to bring in similar checks. 

Last year the law was changed to make it legal for all foreign nurses, midwives and dentists from outside the European Union to be forced to take an IELTS language exam if it was felt their English made them unsafe in a medical environment.

Since then 429 doctors from outside the EU have been refused a licence to practise medicine in the UK because their English language skills are not up to scratch.

Similar rules were passed last month extending those rules to prospective medical who trained inside the EU, a rule quickly adopted by doctors and dentists. 

The rule is still not being by the Nursing and Midwifery Council, however, as the regulator requires a lengthy public consultation process before it can amend its rules.

Even then the law will only apply to candidates who medical authorities judge could be a danger due to poor English language skills. 

In such an instance the nurse would first be required to prove sufficient English language experience - such as from a GCSE-style qualification - or they will be forced to take the British Council's IELTS qualification, to access whether they have reached a suitable level for their job. 

Article references
www.dailymail.co.uk