UG in the US

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 03/31/2013 - 23:00

Renuka Raja Rao, country co-ordinator , EducationUSA Advising Services, United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF), on how a well-thought-out timeline could be beneficial to applicants.

Though the United States continues to be a favourite with students in India as an overseas academic destination, the number and variety of requirements (standardised tests, electronic applications , personal essays, letters of recommendation, application fees, etc) may seem daunting and discourage many potential students — and their parents.

Perhaps, the key to making an academic opportunity abroad a reality is as simple as not waiting until the last minute and, instead, creating a timeline that will keep you, the applicant, true to your goal. It takes time to find out what institution fits your interests best and to develop a strong essay that tells the school of your choice who you are and what you plan to do.

To fulfil requirements and build a compelling application, the average student needs to start preparing about 15-18 months before the intended enrolment date.

Based on an academic year beginning in August, the application requirements can be broken down into five steps that helps simplify and demystify the application process.

STEP 1 Research your options (January-April )

Based on your goals and your academic preparedness, create a shortlist of institutions that may be a good fit for your skills and talent (what's your high school GPA? Do you need to take standardised tests? If you do, what scores are needed? What are your co-curricular accomplishments ?)

You may also consider location and climate, campus size and diversity, as well as financial aid opportunities. Begin with a list of 20-30 universities. To get you started, visit the College Board website, www.collegeboard .com, Big Future https:// bigfuture.collegeboard. org, and EducationUSA http:// educationusa.state.gov (toll free number 1-800-103-1231 ; Mon-Fri : 2-5 pm)

STEP 2 Complete your application (May-October )

Carefully review application deadlines and admissions requirements of the universities you selected. Sign up to take standardised tests (repeat them, if scores are low), begin drafting your personal essay, and get in touch with former teachers to ask for academic recommendations. US universities require students to take standardised tests that measure students' critical thinking and problemsolving abilities, such as the SAT or the ACT. Some universities also require SAT subject tests.

Foreign students are required to take tests that measure English language proficiency, such as the TOEFL, IELTS and PTE. Sit for tests early, so that you have time to retake them, if necessary, and improve your scores. Taking Advanced Placement (AP) exams may also give you a competitive edge. Most universities will require two to three letters of recommendation. Select teachers who can vouch for your intellectual abilities and potential growth.

STEP 3 Finance your studies (November-January )

This is the time for parents to work on a financial plan. US universities offer a variety of scholarships, but these are extremely competitive. Other funding sources are listed through the Institute of International Education (IIE) www.fundingusstudy .org, or advertised in public service sites, such as www.finaid.org or http:// guaranteed-scholarships .com.

(With inputs from Richa Bhasin, Adviser EducationUSA Advising Services, USIEF)