Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples fro

Essay topics: Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.
Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge and experience.
Write at least 250 words.

Bustanul Arifin's picture

Every parent at the current moment has realizing that the competition for a job is increasing significantly, this reason brings the parent to think as best as possible to prepare their children with the best skill to compete for a job. One of the most important skills that should be prepared is the foreign language. Minimum a child must be able to speak a foreign language, because it will be a beneficial skill for him to apply a job in outside his home country in the future. Some experts consider that teaching a foreign language for children since them at primary school is better than start it at secondary school. However, I personally think that this provides the advantages and the disadvantages as well.

Primary school is the place for children to develop their character, as we known that the first duty of a primary school is building character not skills. At this age, the children are still need a lot of time to play and they should use their time at primary school for it. So, they should not study a difficult subject. However, based on my personal experience, studying a foreign language such as English is really pressuring my brain, I have to think and remember hard about the materials.

The children at secondary school are having stronger capacity and mentality to study a harder subject like English. At secondary school, teachers not need to focus on the character building anymore, they could push the student to study on a more difficult subject than in primary school, because, at this age the student have already good brain capacity to study like English subject.

At the end, I can conclude that preparing the children about foreign language skill as soon as possible is a good decision, but we have to look are children ready or not for it. So, teaching foreign language for children at primary school is not a good choice, however, teaching foreign language at secondary school is the best policy.