The chart below shows the percentage of households in owned and rented accommodation in England and Wales between 1918 and 2011 Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant

The bar charts below represent the proportion of owned and leased English and Welsh housings from 1918 to 2011. In general, owning and leasing showed an opposite trend where ownership percentage experienced increase and lease percentage encountered decrease.

In detail, in 1918 ownership stood at around 20%, where lease was at approximately 75%. The number of owned accommodation then began to rise to around 32% in 1939 and 1953, while the amount of leased accommodations started to decrease to approximately 68% in 1939 and 1953.

From 1961 to 2001, the number of owned housings continued to increase to around 69% before began to decline to approximately 65%. On the other hand, in the same period, the amount of rented accommodations continued to decrease to around 32%, before started to climb to around 38%.