The chart below shows the percentage of households in owned and rented accommodation in England and Wales between 1918 and 2011 Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant

The bar graph compares the data of how many households had there own accommodation and how many lived in rented accommodation in England and Wales from 1918 to 2011.

Overall, It can be seen that households in rented accommodation had downward trend, whereas households in rented accommodation had upward trend throughout the time period.

Specifically, from 1918 to 1971, number of families who had their owned accommodation steadily rose from approximately 22 % to 50%, while households who lived in rented accommodation declined gradually from around 78% to exactly 50%.

From 1971 to 2011, households in owned accommodation rose dramatically and hit the pick of almost 70% in 2001. Then, it declined to 64% in 2011. In stark contrast, households in rented accommodation increased to 30% in 1991 and remained stable for next 10 years, but in last decade it increased to around 38% in 2011.