Is freedom of speech necessary in a free society?Give reasons for your answer.

Is freedom of speech necessary in a free society?

Give reasons for your answer.

One of the social issues today relates to whether every member of societies has a right to speak what they want on any matter even if that speech would be something against the views of a dominant group. In my opinion, freedom of speech is crucial in our societies for several reasons.

To begin with, we are living in a democracy world where many people can hold diversified views and opinions, and come up with them for a discussion or debate. If we were prohibited or limited to speak what we want to say, it would be a violation of human rights. North Korea, for example, is known for the absence of human rights and locking their own people in the country. Some of them get imprisoned or even executed or for standing up for themselves and speaking for justice. We must not allow this inhuman situation to take place in our societies.

Another reason I would consider necessary to have a freedom of speech is because we are meant to be different. One person cannot have the absolute right contention. When individuals have their own different suggestions and points of views, these ideas must be adjusted to get to the middle point that most people would agree. If a society had people with one identical point of view, that would be more close to communism and inhumanity. We are born to be different from each other and therefore it is not uncommon to hold different views and speak what we think is right to the public and the world.

For the reasons mentioned above, I believe that it is fair for individuals to speak out their own thoughts and points of views because our societies are based on democracy and human natures are supposed to be different.