With the increasing demand for energy sources of oil and gas, people should look for sources of oil and gas in remote and untouched places. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of damaging such areas?

Nowadays, energy problems have become one of the pressing issues to the humanity. In order to cater the needs of human operation, people should explore the fossil fuels in distant areas. In my opinion, the negative influences surpass the positive results of this approach.

On one hand, the current preservation of fossil fuel would only last another hundred years at the current state of use, according the geological findings. Therefore, the exploration and mining operation in those remote areas can sustain the social development to a large extent. Although critics argue that alternatives have become increasingly prevalent, it is still confined to the developed countries because of high manufacturing costs and relatively lower productivity. For instance, wind turbines that are abandoned by the UK for its pricy maintenance fee.

There are, however, more problems that are associated with approach need to be pay attention to. The first point is that the biodiversity of current eco-system is under the threat stemming from the human interventions. Thousands of wildlife as well as flora and fauna may vanish alongside with their inhabitants. For example, several bird species extinct owing to the land clearance in the last century. If there is no policy that is imposed on searching resources, thus maintaining the integrity of eco-system will become ever challenging. In addition, whilst the exploring activities are taking place, more and more pollutions is produced. This could be ranging from water pollution to air pollution, and inevitably undermines the environment.

In conclusion, it may be rational to say that digging the fossil fuel that could benefit the social development. However, in the long run, human beings have to pay more in terms of environmental protection than what they are required to spend on alternatives. As far as I concerned, the proposal of mining untouched areas is not acceptable.

according the geological findings
according to the geological findings