Nowadays many students have the opportunity to study for part or all of their courses in foreign countries While studying abroad brings many benefits to individual students it also has a number of disadvantages

Nowadays, many students have the opportunity to study for part or all of their courses in foreign countries. While studying abroad brings many benefits to individual students, it also has a number of disadvantages.

In recent years, there has been a significant increase in the number of people choosing to study abroad because of increased affluence and the variety of scholarships and grants now available. Whilst it is true that there are some initial difficulties when studying overseas, the benefits are undeniable.

To begin with, lots of overseas institutions provide a wider variety of study options compared to the student's home country. Many students find that some of the facilities are of a higher quality. For example, laboratories and libraries may be much bigger and better-equipped. Moreover, by looking abroad students may find a wider range of courses available than in their country of birth. Therefore, students may find a course that more closely fits their requirements.

However, there are also some potential pitfalls, both personal and professional. For instance, students have to leave their family and friends for a long time, and this can lead to homesickness and culture shock. Similarly, studying abroad is usually much more expensive than studying at a local university and potential students need to consider this carefully when making a decision. What is more, students often have to study in a foreign language, and this can actually limit their performance and the quality of their degree.

To sum up, there are clearly both benefits and drawbacks to choosing a foreign university. However, most students find their language skills improve after a few months in their new environment, and the homesickness does not usually last long. Therefore, whilst the disadvantages are short-lived, the benefits can last students all their lives.

most students find their language skills improve
most students find their language skills improved