Essay topics: Some people believe that electronic calculators should not be allowed in school until after the pupils have mastered mental arithmetic. Others believe that calculators save pupils time especially with complicated calculations. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Nowadays, in our contemporary world, smart calculators have become an essential tool, having a purpose in solving quickly the arithmetical operations. In contrast, the school offers numerical skill which can be more accurate and faster than a program that simulates this skill. From my perspective, I think that calculator remains a helpful software for students in case of evaluating their solutions to a problem.
Admittedly, there are enormous advantages that a calculator could offer learners. These electronic devices can easily provide their answer to several difficult questions in the science curriculum. Obviously, it is required for students to give their results with precision which turn out to be the toughest part. For instance, in the physics, students work with decimals in order to detect the small errors in their experiments. Therefore, making calculation consumes a lot of time in preparing.
However, I still support that school should ban the use of calculators because they could lead to several mistakes regarding student's calculations. Calculators, as many electronic devices, are considered to be untrustful because nobody can be sure that their work is 100% correct. The case of the decimal number is exceptional because computers work in a different style from integer numbers. The calculators memorize additional information about the real or complex numbers. For example, real numbers need to be allocated a specific number where it can be found the point. As a result, operating calculations in base two can prove the misinterpretation to basic arithmetical mechanisms such as addition, subtract and multiply. Furthermore, calculators cannot develop the logical mental skills for children. So, reliance on the computer system of calculation could be harmful to the learners.
In conclusion, in our academic system, calculators are regarded to be necessary or not in learning paths and consequently, will play an important role in real applications.
- In the past decade, concerns regarding the safety of traditionally grown produce have arisen. Many chemicals are being used to control pests on crops, which have prompted some consumers to begin purchasing “organic” produce - fruits and vegetables tha (80)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Modern technology is creating a single world culture. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. (60)
- Chorleywood is a village near London whose population has increased steadily since the middle of the nineteenth century. The map below shows the development of the village.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the development of the village. (80)
- Some people believe that electronic calculators should not be allowed in school until after the pupils have mastered mental arithmetic. Others believe that calculators save pupils time especially with complicated calculations. Discuss both these views and (70)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Attending a live performance (for example, a play, a concert, or sporting event) is more enjoyable than watching the same event on television. (70)
- Historically, schools in the US have borrowed the European system of school organization, a system that separates students into grades by chronological age. In general, children begin formal schooling at the age of six in what is referred to as the first (80)
- In a vote that took place at the International Astronomical Union Conference on August 24th, 2006, Pluto lost its status as a planet in our solar system. Pluto was originally discovered in 1930 when scientists were searching for something that was interfe (70)
- By punishing murderers with the death penalty, society is also guilty of committing murder. Therefore, life in prison is a better punishment for murderers. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement? (70)
- The charts below show how the percentage of their food budget the average family spent on restaurant meals in different years. The graph shows the number of meals eaten in fast food restaurant and sit-down restaurant. (80)
- Some people think that they can make as much noise as they want, while others think that the amount of noise people make should be strictly controlled. Discuss both views and include your own opinion and examples. (80)