Tourism has increasingly so much over the last 50 years that it is having a mainly negative impact on local inhabitants and the environment However others claim that it is good for the economy Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of tourism and give y

Tourism has increasingly so much over the last 50 years that it is having a mainly negative impact on local inhabitants and the environment. However, others claim that it is good for the economy.
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of tourism and give your own opinion.

With the development of transportation these days, it dramatically boosts the tourism industry. Travelling has become a popular activity in population from both developing and developed nations. Consequently, some assert that tourism adversely affects several aspects in local attractions such as cultural identity and the beauty of remote landscape, while some argue with a huge benefit of increasing job opportunities to local people. Both advantages and disadvantages of the tourism will be discussed carefully.

To begin with, the main advantage of tourism businesses is the improvement of the economy. With the high number of tourists, it definitely boosts a national gross income as the money from tourists supports all services and even generates more businesses such as hotels in a country. Secondly, this change directly affects local people in tourist attractions. Tourism industry eventually creates many job opportunities, especially in tourist services such as guides or taxi drivers, to native people. Lastly, the government may increase revenue from tourism industry and can use this budget to improve in several areas such as education, health services or public transport systems.

However, when there are many visitors in a tourist destination, it also leads to negative consequences. The overcrowded visitors carelessly leave garbage and pollute the attractive sites, causing the environmental issue desperately. This can be seen in many historical sites that are deliberately damaged by tourists, throwing litter around the sites or drawing graffiti on the wall. Moreover, local people, living isolated and practicing their own customs, would be changed by the mass tourism because indigenous people will learn and adapt with new cultures rather than keep remaining their culture.

In conclusion, it is clear that the positive points of tourism businesses still outweigh the drawbacks. However, I would like to account that the government still needs to control the number of tourists to be in a suitable number and subsidizes sufficient funding on preserving cultural identity of a nation and protecting the environment surrounding tourist attractions.