Home >> .

TPO-29 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? To improve the quality of education, universities should spend money on salaries university professors. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

ZhicongLiang's picture

A prevalent we hear a lot today is that universities should spend more money on salaries of their professors inorder to imporve the quality of the education. This is because the professors will concentrate more on their researches if they get more salaries. A considerable number of opponents, however, aruge that with more salaries, the professors will spend more time on entertainment instead of academy. As far as I am concerned, the former view seems to align more with my perspective. There are several reasons to support my point of view. However, two of them will suffice here.

To begin with, as we can see, many professors today work for companies as part time jobs to earn more money. Even though this may give them a chance to apply their knewledge into industry, it will definitely cost them a lot of time that should be used on education like teaching or office hours. What's more, if they take the money from companies, they will have to adjust their research direction to fit into those of the companies, aiming at making more profits. In this case, they may not be able to focus on what really deserve their effort. And there is no doubt that this kind of distraction will do harm to the quality of the research and the education of universities. However, with more salaries, professors need not to do part time jobs to lead decent life. So they can concentrate on what they really want to study and spend more time with their students.

For another, spending more money on the salaries of the professors will attract more excellent reseachers to work in the universities and improve the qualities of the staff. As more and more technology companies, especially the field of internet, competing excellent people against universities, it is high time that universities to come up with a better way to keep and attract these people. No doubt that raising the salaries is the best strategy. Take my advisor as an example, he is an expert in statistics and onced work in our university. However, the salaries here did not meet up to his expectation since he has to spend a lot of money on his mother's disease. When Microsoft offer him a greater amount of money, he leaved the university. It is a great pity for all of us since he is really a potential professor. If more salaries was given, I bet he won't leave us.

Admittedly, a minority of people may aruge that with more salarise, professors tend to spend more time on personal enjoyment as ordinary people do. However, as we all know, for one thing, most of the professors in universities are really enjoy their researches, which have become an essential part of their lives. For another, every university has a standard to evaluate the contribution of its professors, which will guarantee that professors do a necessary amount of research.

All in all, I do agree that spending more money on the salaries of professor will help to improve the qualities of the eduaction. This is not only because a decent amount of salaries will allow professors to concnetrate on their work and keep in their prefered research direction but alos because this will attract more excellent reseachers to the universities.