Do computers think It isn t a new question In fact Alan Turing a British mathematician proposed an experiment to answer the question in 1950 and the test known as the Turing test is still used today In the experiment a group of people are asked to interac

Do computers think? It isn't a new question. In fact, Alan Turing, a British mathematician, proposed an experiment to answer the question in 1950 and the test, known as the Turing test, is still used today. In the experiment a group of people are asked to interact with something in another room through a computer terminal. They don't known wheter it is another person or a computer that they are interacting with. They can ask any question that they want. They can type their questions onto a computer screens or they can ask their questions speaking into a microphone. In response, they see the answers on a computer screen or they hear them played back by a voice synthesizer. At the end of the test, the people have to decide whether they have been talking to a person or to a computer. If they judge the computer to be a person, or if they can't determine the difference, then the machine has passed the Turing test.
Since 1950, a number of contests have been organized in which machines were challenged to the Turing Test. In 1990, Hugh Loebner sponsored a prize to be awarded by the Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies- a gold metal and cash award of 100,000 dollars to the designer of the computer that could pass the Turing Test; however, so far, no computer has passed the test.

Essay topics in audio

The reading passage gives us some information about the Turing Test. The text share with us the premises on which it is based, the procedure of the test and criteria of the success. Alan Turing surmised that his test is able to answer on the question whereas a computer can think or not. At the same time, the lecturer asserts that other scientist believes that the Turing test is meaningless because of reasons which are given in detail below.

Firstly, a possibility exists that a computer may be designed in such a way that it can deceive a person who checks the machine's intelligence through creation a huge data base of possible answers. Consequently, a machine may pass the test even if it is not able to think.

Secondly, it is quite probable that a human being may not pass the test, in case the participants of the experiment belong to different cultures and speak in distinct languages. In this case, there is needed a common context which will allow them to understand each other.

Finally, although no computer system or machine has ever passed the Turing test, it is highly questionably to believe that passing it will prove that the computer can think. The crucial reason of this situation is that the test is based on measuring one's behavior rathen than on paying attention to process of thinking. As a result, a machine can pass the test and a man can faild it. Thus, the Turing test is meaningless.

other scientist believes that
other scientists believe that
another scientist believes that

a man can faild it.
a man can fail .

Sentence: The crucial reason of this situation is that the test is based on measuring one's behavior rathen than on paying attention to process of thinking.
Error: rathen Suggestion: rather

Sentence: As a result, a machine can pass the test and a man can faild it.
Error: faild Suggestion: fail