The reading passage describes Hydropower facility which consists of a plant and a reservoir. The passage describes hydropower as a convenient source of energy. But the professor of the ecology class casts a doubt on this description of the hydro-power.
As the passage sites hydro-power as a convenient and environment-friendly source, the professor explains that water stored in dam may give rise to a situation such as flood. The flood may cause harm to the communities residing near the dam due to its adverse effects. The floods lead up to the accumulations of silts and toxic materials, which may produce toxic fumes. Thus by explaining it as not an environment-friendly source, the professor casts a doubt on the reading context.
He also gives example of the harm it may cause to the ecosystem near the reservoir. As the water evaporates, it cause decrease in the water level. This can cause the birds to have lesser insects as a part of their food. Fishes require a steady flow of water to sustain their life, the reservoir for the hydro-power plant, stops the steady flow of water, causing disturbance in the aquatic Ecosystem. This is another example by the professor; to cast a doubt on the fact that hydro-power is an environment-friendly source.
The professor even disagrees to the fact that hydro-power is relatively inexpensive. He states that the plant set up comes with a huge cost, making it rather expensive. He also argues that water may not be considered as a renewable source as it is dependent on various factors viz. natural conditions, etc.
To summarize up, the professor sites various examples to prove his reasons worthy to cast a doubt on the context given in the reading passage.
- "Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as 83
- You have enough money to purchase either a house or a business. Which would you choose to buy? Give specific reasons to explain your choice 67
- Students at universities often have a choice of places to live. They may choose to live in university dormitories, or they may choose to live in apartments in the community. Compare the advantages of living in university housing with the advantages of liv 80
- Argument Topic According to a recent report cheating among college and university students is on the rise However Groveton College has successfully reduced student cheating by adopting an honor code which calls for students to agree not to cheat in their 88
- People work because they need money to live What are some other reasons that people work Discuss one or more of these reasons Use specific examples and details to support your answer 86
Don't need a conclusion paragraph.
better to have 4 paragraphs:
para 1: introduction
para 2: doubt 1
para 3: doubt 2
para 4: doubt 3
Read sample essays from ETS:
Don't repeat words or phrases like 'cast doubts'
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 23 in 30
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 16 12
No. of Words: 288 250
No. of Characters: 1392 1200
No. of Different Words: 135 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.12 4.2
Average Word Length: 4.833 4.6
Word Length SD: 3.093 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 91 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 74 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 48 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 42 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 18 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 5.579 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.438 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.346 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.571 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.122 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 4