Pruning is removing dead or living branches of a tree to improve the tree s health and structure Careful pruning will control the size of a tree and should the tree within bounds Tree size is maintained through crown reduction pruning the removal of large

Pruning is removing dead or living branches of a tree to improve the tree’s health and structure. Careful pruning will control the size of a tree and should the tree within bounds. Tree size is maintained through crown reduction pruning, the removal of larger branches at the top of the tree to reduce its height. When done properly, crown reduction only removes branches immediately above the joint with other branches, leaving no stubs.
Pruning invigorates trees and keeps them healthy. In general, a tree will be more vigorous with a few healthy branches than with many weak ones. Crowded branches never develop to full size. Large branches compete with small branches, and the small ones become targets for disease and breakage. Pruning encourages trees to develop a strong structure, which reduces the likelihood of damage during severe weather. Pruning should always be done sparingly; removing too many branches in one season can damage the tree’s capability for photosynthesis.
The aim of pruning is to enhance the natural shape and beauty of a tree. Most hardwood trees have rounded crowns that lack a strong leader and may have several lateral, or side, branches. Branches grow from stems at nodes, and cuts are always made just above the stem-branch node so that the wood heals effectively. Cuts should not be made in the middle of a branch or near the end of a branch. After a mature tree reaches the desirable shape, pruning should be done only to remove broken or diseased branches and to thin occasionally to avoid overcrowding.

Essay topics in audio

The article states that careful pruning will control the size and the shape of a tree, invigorates trees, keeps them healthy, and enhances the natural shape and beauty of a tree. In addition, the passage illustrates some points about proper pruning. However, the professor explains that bad pruning leads to many hazards and refutes each of the author’s points.

First, the article claims that removal of larger branches at top of the tree will assist the control of a tree’s size. Quite the opposite, the professor refutes this point by saying that such removals will lead to developments of side branches, which grow very quickly. These side branches will cause many problems. The professor provides an example to illustrates this. According to the professor, a tree, on which top removals were applied, developed 7 huge branches that can easily crush a car.

Second, the article posits that pruning invigorates a tree and keeps it healthy. However, the professor states that removing leaves will lead to starvation of the tree, because it destroys the food resources of the tree. What’s more, the tree will be weakened especially in winters. The author fails to consider this important point about pruning.

Third, according to the article, pruning improves the natural shape and beauty of a tree. In contrast, the professor indicates that pruning destroy the natural shape of a tree and eliminate the beauty of the tree. The professor provides an example of a tree to illustrate this. As the professor said, pruning weakened the branch structure of the tree and resulted an ugly shape.

To sum up, the reading speaks about pruning and explains three main points about the effects of pruning on a tree. On the other hand, the professor refutes the author’s claims and illustrates how pruning causes so many hazards if not done wisely.

that pruning destroy the natural shape
that pruning destroys the natural shape

Don't need a conclusion paragraph.